Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Country Wines

Country Wines

I've so far foraged Dandelions, Sloes and Elderflower and made these into Wines. Cherries will be fruiting soon so that's my next brew to be made but aside from the obvious Elderberry Wine, can anyone recommend something more alternative for me to be pitching some yeast to?

Rhubarb is a good wine for blending purposes.

Elderflower 'Champagne' is a great Summer drink served cold with ice and lemon. Nettle, Hawthorn blossom, Rose petal, Oak leaf, these all make wine around the end of May into late June.

I picked the latter ingredients from a 1979 version of 'Winemaking, Month by Month by Brian Leverett. I have made the nettle and to be truthful, it tastes much better if you make beer out of it with the addition of Ginger.

I might just get a few gallons of it going as the young nettle tops will be everywhere now.

Try the book "drink your own garden" or "booze for free" there be gazillions of them!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drink-Your-O...our+own+garden

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Booze-Free-A...our+own+garden

I prefer the first one but both are good.

Happy supping
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Rhubarb...but then I live near the Rhubarb Triangle of the world.
    Apples n pears too,make a good brew!!hic,hic
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    Rhubarb...but then I live near the Rhubarb Triangle of the world.
    Apples n pears too,make a good brew!!hic,hic
    I love rhubarb. I make the usual pies and crumbles but one of the best ways to use a glut of it is to turn it into a sorbet. Its really refreshing on a Summer's day.

Midas.

Don't know if you remember, but when I was a kid living up north you could get a really big variety of it. The stems were really thick and long and you could make a plate pie out of a couple of stems. Don't suppose you know the name of it, do you.

I have just planted a variety called 'Russian Giant'. The stems are supposidly meant to be over a metre long. My first attempt ended in disaster as they need heat to get them through but I forgot about them and they wilted.

Sorry Chubbs,dont know the names of any of them.Got mine from farm.just keep digging up n splitting every year or so.
    Remember grannies plate pies.Fresh bakedBread n Oven bottom cakes.can smell em now.mmmmPerfer forced rhubarb.you can hear it growing in the candle lite....But wifes fathers bungalow backed onto rhubarb fields in Ardsley.so when we were making wine,we had the run of what was left in feilds after they'd harvested for market.etc.at one time we had a washing machine with Wringer that we fed rhubarb,to get the juice n mash.easier than chopping.lol.Talk of "Moonshining".lol.
    PS.as kids we used to get a couple of big sticks of rhubarb out of feilds when we were out on one of our adventures,along with a bottle of water n a stick of black licorice in it n shake it in turns all the way to the woods.Used to call the Rhubarb "TUSKA"cos it resembled eliphants tusks.How the worlds changed.we all had a knife,matches,some even a lighter.Piece of string.
    Last edited by midas; 02-06-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: PS
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

.....we used to get up before we went to bed and the mill owner would kill us for the privilege ...... Sorry couldn't help it Liking the sound of the Rhubub/Liquorice drink though.
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

we all had a knife,matches,some even a lighter.Piece of string
    And a spud to roast in the fire, happy dayz
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Quote Originally Posted by rawfish111 View Post
    .....we used to get up before we went to bed and the mill owner would kill us for the privilege ...... Sorry couldn't help it Liking the sound of the Rhubub/Liquorice drink though.
    Yeh ! but you try telling kids that these days and they wont believe you,
    Sorry couldn't help it :
    nor me
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

I have a gallon of Oak Leaf wine fermenting at the moment. Picked nine pints of young leaves last month. I have no idea what the outcome or taste will be like but should be interesting

Always wanted to make some gorse bush wine, so that's next on the list (although the flowers are a nightmare to pick)
    Gwn, Ci a Cyllall (Gun, Dog and a Knife)

'Ara' deg a fesyl dipyn, ma' rhoi dy fys mewn tin gwybedyn'