Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barefoot

I think it's relevant to your location. My Father was from a desert environment and was often barefoot. He had about a quarter inch, of dead compressed skin on the soles of his feet. In our environment, the weather is too damp. Mud and stone's are completely different to sand and stone's.
    My Dad wouldn't wear boots or shoes abroad, but he wouldn't go barefoot in the UK.
    He who says "he can" and he who says "he can't", are both usually right.

I often go barefoot around camp, but still like the protection of boots when I am traveling over distance.

One important thing to rember is that bare feet force you to slow down and be aware of what is on the ground and under your feet, if you move at the same pace that you would when wearing boots, and crash through the undergrowth, you are prone to hurt yourself.

Do you know Mick Dodge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o7U...e_gdata_player

You can find some episodes of the Series online under The Legend of Mick Dodge!

I'm just begun my barefoot journey and I like it very much. I had some kickbacks, because at first I overdone it a little bit, but know I slowed down enough and I enjoy it.

When you've worn shoes your whole life, the transit to barefoot can take years!

In the beginning everything is to intense, every little thingy on the ground hurts and stings, but it fades away in completely new sensory feelings of the ground.

But you've to slow down!

Im also into tracking and foraging and so it's not a bad thing to slow down a bit.

Bye,
    Alex

i used to love running barefoot on the beach and on grass until you hit a biot of shell or thorn
    There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar, I love not man the less, but Nature more.

i found these opinions? PaleoBarefoots
    There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar, I love not man the less, but Nature more.

Not long got back form two weeks on a Greek Island, where just walking on the beach hurt my little feet, it wasn't the fluffy white sand you get like in Barbados, it was very shaily, and coarse, but i have got baby feet, the wife takes the mick about me not having any dried skin on them. So Without sounding patronising, can I ask what would be the benefit of going barefoot ? Am I missing something
    Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.

I just like being barefoot mainly... I just feel better in myself when barefoot its a bit of a odd one mainly I dont get as nervous and my anxiaty dosnt bother me as much it helps me feel grounded. I feel better balanced and somehow it takes away my nerves a bit. I can't really explain it properly but I guess it just feels more natural it's quite calming.
    so these might be a option
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ANTERRA_Wasser_800px.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	12344
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	five-finger-shoe.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	12343
    Last edited by NorthernYeti; 16-07-2014 at 12:37 PM.

I think you hit the nail on the head Yeti, you feel better bare-foot. It's more natural, and i think everyone can appreciate that feeling of relief you get takeing boots off at the end of the day.
    I don't fancy the chain mail slippers, but the others look decent.
    He who says "he can" and he who says "he can't", are both usually right.

Would barefoot on reasonably safe ground be a good way to prepare your feet for a hike in a pair of boots....my experience of walking is the pain barrier of blisters until my feet acclimatise ?

I have a pair of VFFs and I love them. Although even with them on my feet still become very sore when walking on hard pack with the small gravel on top.

One thing that has been I huge plus from wearing these both causally and in the woods is that they're far from waterproof so your feet get soaking wet all the time.......this accustoms your feet to having to warm themselves! My feet now warm up ridiculously quick.

The muscles in your feet will obviously grow, and may make your boots a little tighter....