Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 44445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Picture Of The Day

And found this (presumably a prop from a Mad Max film) in an adjacent field...

'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    Smokey staggering down the high street, drunk, farting, shaking his fist, and swearing at everyone are the pictures I want to see.
    LOLOL Gosh you guys

The root beer was non-alcoholic . If any staggering occurred, it was likely due to being covered in a fake fur suit with temperatures around 34 C.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Since the forecast for today was hot, sweaty, and shite, I decided to head out early this morning and go for a walk before the worst of the sun came up.
    Start point was a nearby church and then a 4 mile circuit route that would bring me back...

A pleasant, if uneventful stroll, except for a hare having a munch on some leaves...

'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Lovely shot of the hare.
    Got to love the quiet of an early walk.

"If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

This "forrest" is scheduled to be clear cut in the next few days. So this was our last walk trough this atrocity of a sitka fir farm to get to the real forest, where we find mushrooms, berries and life!
    I have the champagne in the cooler ready to celebrate when all of these are gone forever!

Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    This "forrest" is scheduled to be clear cut in the next few days. So this was our last walk trough this atrocity of a sitka fir farm to get to the real forest, where we find mushrooms, berries and life!
    I have the champagne in the cooler ready to celebrate when all of these are gone forever!

Do you know what's replacing it?

They are going to let it grow in naturally...so the natural coastal birch forest, with blueberry, heather, crowberry, lingon berry, cloudberry bottom. Generally the woods here are not managed at all as tnobody is farming anymore (compared to what it used to be). But forst they will probably be open fields for a number of year, until they grow in. But that will be fast...anyway, they are logging these 20-40 years ahed of schedule, jsut to get rid of them. Sirka spruce is black listed here, and is being eradicated.
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 24-08-2016 at 02:20 PM.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Mangemanet of woods around here was naturally taken care of by the farms. The timber was harvested for building materials and fire wood for the winter. While wild ranging sheep, cows and goats, took care of the undergrowth. Copicing like you do in England is virtually unknown here. So when the small farms went under as they simply where not prioftable enough to pay a decent yearly wage, the animals disappeared too...

The sitka spruce was introduced 50-60 years ago to give the farmers an aditional income...but did not pay off, as they could not wait for 2-3 generations, and meanwhile what I describved above happened.
    (Roald Amundsen)

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post

Good riddance! Hope the natural forest brings back all of the inhabitants that once lived there...