Page 37 of 64 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Picture Of The Day

Excellent explanation Rune. It's just a shame that lightroom costs as much as it does.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Excellent explanation Rune. It's just a shame that lightroom costs as much as it does.
    You do not buy lightroom anymore. It is now subscription based. And if you subscribe to Photoshop CC you get Lightroom CC for "free". I am paying 10US$ a month for that package.
    And it is always kept updated by adobe, and I never have to worry about the software going obsolete, and should something better come allong I can just end the subscription and go for that instead, without having to worry about a huge investment in software.

But there are free alternatives to Photoshop and lightroom. You can use the Gimp and Lightzone instead. I've heard good things about those. I am just using PS and LR because those are what I have used
    "all my life" and I am to set in my ways to bother with learning new software.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Thank-you @FishyFolk. That is a really good explanation and has certainly made me think about what is required. Thank-you for taking the time to put that post together and explain it. I have a lot to learn!!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWalker View Post
    Thank-you @FishyFolk. That is a really good explanation and has certainly made me think about what is required. Thank-you for taking the time to put that post together and explain it. I have a lot to learn!!
    These days there are also good alternatives to the dSLR. Look at the new mirrorless hybrid cameras.Small compared to the traditional dSLR, and it will run in circles around my current dSLR when it comes to picture quallity. But they cost an arm and a leg.

An alternative is to go for a used Dslr. There is an abundance of used kit out there, as amateur photographers are even worse kit junkies than bushcrafters. Which means as soon as theire is a new Canon or Nikon model out there, they sell their "old" one. Good lenses are worse to get as they tend to hang on to those. But plenty of "kit lensnes for sale. And there are some amazing alernatives to brand name glass.

I resently bought a new wide angle lens to use for my aurora/ astro photography. It is a Samyang 14mm f.2.8 (I beleive in the US they sell them under the brand name Rokinon).
    Anyway it cost about 300£ in Norway new. I got mine for 150£. An equivalent original canon lens, will set you back at least 1500£. And the Samyiang has bben praised by both ammateurs and professionals alike both for build quallity and sharpness.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Thanks for the information Rune. I will be going to the local camera shop to have a look at potential cameras and then do as you suggest and get an older model.

This is a picture I may have posted here before, but I just realised something about it that may make you appreciate the shere scale of the Aurora.
    The peak ofthe mountain that the Aurora is rising out of, "Snøtinden", is at just bellow 4000 feet above sea level....

(Roald Amundsen)

Wow. That does put things into perspective. Great shot.

This morning's walk to work.
    It's a great time of year, eh?

'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    This morning's walk to work.
    It's a great time of year, eh?

Thats nice.

Here when I take the wife to work at 6:30 it is still completely dark. And by the time I take the runt to daycare at 08:00 it's allready light. But soon 0800 will be at dawn, so I can get a similar shot. To bad the last autumn storm took what was left of the leaves on the trees. No autumn colors left. So basically I am just waiting for snow to arrive.
    (Roald Amundsen)

great picture! Love this time of year, driving to work and seeing the mist in the valleys! Magic