Page 15 of 64 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Picture Of The Day

My front yard a few miutes ago...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

You Lucky Man...the Northern Lights is a spectacle I'd love to witness.

Wow!
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

A couple of piccies.
    Firstly, a shaggy inkcap - evidence that Autumn is with us...

And this second one is one of those lucky shots. I just happened to have the camera with me as I drove down the lane and there I saw, beside the road...

I get such a buzz whenever I see a kestrel. Apologies here - I'm going to get all sentimental and 'gaia' on you (I know - sorry), but if one can have a totem animal then mine's a kestrel. Or fox. No, it's a kestrel.
    I saw this little lady by the road and my first thought was that she was injured - I passed by in my car just a couple of feet away and she didn't move. I pulled over into an opposite layby and looked. Still there. I really thought she was hurt. She looked at me. I didn't know what to do. Should I get her and take her to a vet? But I knew if she was injured there would be nothing they could do - at best they'd put her down to keep her out of misery. I didn't know what to do. Then she looked down and started ripping at whatever it was she caught (if you look at the picture you can see a clump of grey fur in her left claw).
    I was relieved. She wasn't injured, just more interested in her lunch. I was less than ten feet away, leaning out of my car. I got my camera and managed to get a couple of pictures. Then another car came along. I was blocking the road. I had to move, and when I looked back the kestrel had gone.
    Being that close has given me a tingle down the back of my neck. That same feeling I still get whenever I hear the ice cream van. It's probably the closest I've been to a living, breathing, fit and healthy, wild, bird of prey. And a kestrel to boot! I think she's going to be my kestrel now, wherever she is.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

The Kestrel...will always be the Adventurous School Boy's Bird....Great Photo....

Dang Rune...now you're making me jealous . Don't think we've ever had auroras this far south - sure would be wonderful to see it one day .

Great story, Humakt. I've had a few close encounters with rather tame Wild Turkeys, one of whom was in the middle of a path I was taking. I didn't know the hen was there until I came within a few meters. She wasn't startled, and I decided to go a different way so as to not disturb her...and as I was walking away on the different route, I noticed she had come down that way originally, and left behind a beautiful 30 cm wing feather. I've worn it on my hat ever since. And speaking of raptors, the time a Red-tailed hawk swooped down close in front of me to nab a field mouse is something I will not forget. Glad I had my camera at hand . Apparently they are so focused on getting their prey that the world around them fades, and they can be approached (with care, of course). A few weeks after that spectacular occurrence, while taking a deer path as a shortcut, I caught out the corner of my eye amongst the leaf litter a Red-tail wing feather, which is also now fixed to my hat. Coincidence?...I think not - those feathers are near impossible to spot, because they blend in so well with the forest floor.
    Last edited by OakAshandThorn; 15-10-2014 at 06:34 PM. Reason: grammar typo
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Awesome, thanks for posting Rune

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

Tribesman
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    That's one great pic Rune, thanks for sharing.
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    What a fabulous photo of the Deer! Amazing, well done. Left ear turned towards the camera click I wonder?..