Page 26 of 64 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Picture Of The Day

"I know what you mean" my camera is an old Nikon D90 with a 70-300 lens. plus I use an even older Nikon D60. cheers, stu

Apologies for the poor picture as it was "cropped" and taken with a waterproof camera, but here is an adrenalin fueled moment from last weekend!

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

No apologies needed, thats a great pic Tim. where were you ?
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    No apologies needed, thats a great pic Tim. where were you ?
    The picture was taken on the Serpents Tail rapid on the river Dee in Llangollen Wales, it was my second run as the first (my very first and successful) run was completed with out any pictures , just after this picture was taken my paddle clipped a rock and I lost grip of the grip and in doing so I lost valuable nano seconds and to be honest threw me a little I then used a "crossed deck" stroke which didn't work. Due to this I was taking the wrong line and...... I'll let pictures tell the story.

But here is the Uk Rivers Guide book description
    "The Serpent's Tail itself is perfectly named, with all the water disappearing into a narrow channel on river right which will scare the bejesus out of those new to Grade 4 rapids. A few breakouts are possible, and the rapid ends by squeezing through a stopper inconveniently lurking next to an undercut...the sting in the Tail. It is at the easier end of the Grade, but still deserves a Grade 4 rating as it seems to unseat a remarkable number of paddlers! Inspection, portage and protection are all available from the ledges on river left. In high water, these begin to cover up and produce their own rapid, along with an almighty stopper at the sting of the tail."

on the approach my line was good here until it all went pear shaped...

The flow is fast and within a heart beat I was on the wrong line now too far over to the right...

The inevitable happened

And I floated down the rest all good fun.

Cheers
    Tim

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    Fast flowing powerful water fragile looking craft and big rocks hmm doubt I would dare do that! Does looks great fun indeed and yup exciting - absolutely stunning location as well.
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Silkhi View Post
    fragile looking craft
    It is hardly fragile, rigged up as a solo as is my boat, it is more than suitable for the Grand Canyon river, a big white water expedition in any ones books.
    Fun yes/scary (a little)
    Cheers
    Tim

That 2nd shot really shows you out of kilter Tim, never been in more than a 2 (and that was a kyak when I young and fit, lol ) but I know with that much water you are going to suffer. Again great pics. Couldnt risk that in my ply canoe, the designer states 2 - 2 1/2 3 if very experienced. I would think I could strengthen it by add braces over the joints but that would spoil the look of it for me. So its horses for courses innit,atb Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    That 2nd shot really shows you out of kilter Tim, never been in more than a 2 (and that was a kyak when I young and fit, lol ) but I know with that much water you are going to suffer. Again great pics. Couldnt risk that in my ply canoe, the designer states 2 - 2 1/2 3 if very experienced. I would think I could strengthen it by add braces over the joints but that would spoil the look of it for me. So its horses for courses innit,atb Ken
    Yup at the time of the second pic, I knew it what was going to happen, it was my first grade 4 as well. I bought the red boat so could do this kind of stuff without risking my primary canoe, as you say horses for courses. Now a friend is on the lookout for a similar boat as a sacrificial lamb!

Cheers
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by -Tim- View Post
    The picture was taken on the Serpents Tail rapid on the river Dee in Llangollen Wales, it was my second run as the first (my very first and successful) run was completed with out any pictures , just after this picture was taken my paddle clipped a rock and I lost grip of the grip and in doing so I lost valuable nano seconds and to be honest threw me a little I then used a "crossed deck" stroke which didn't work. Due to this I was taking the wrong line and...... I'll let pictures tell the story.

But here is the Uk Rivers Guide book description
    "The Serpent's Tail itself is perfectly named, with all the water disappearing into a narrow channel on river right which will scare the bejesus out of those new to Grade 4 rapids. A few breakouts are possible, and the rapid ends by squeezing through a stopper inconveniently lurking next to an undercut...the sting in the Tail. It is at the easier end of the Grade, but still deserves a Grade 4 rating as it seems to unseat a remarkable number of paddlers! Inspection, portage and protection are all available from the ledges on river left. In high water, these begin to cover up and produce their own rapid, along with an almighty stopper at the sting of the tail."

on the approach my line was good here until it all went pear shaped...

The flow is fast and within a heart beat I was on the wrong line now too far over to the right...

The inevitable happened

And I floated down the rest all good fun.

Cheers
    Tim
    Boy, that looks like fun!
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Anyone for ramsons...

'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/