Page 36 of 64 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Picture Of The Day

While I'm at it (looking through old photos):

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWalker View Post
    Some great photos here. Is there a thread where members detail the kit they are using? Interested in getting a new camera so would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the direction of any suitable threads/discussion. Thanks and keep the good shots coming.
    I don't have any fancy kit myself. No DSLR for me - I use a Kodak 'point and click' bridging camera. One of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kodak-Pixpro.../dp/B00CLERWOU

Mounted on one of these for stability:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/4148016.htm

This monopod is particularly good because it has a removable fixing plate if you need to remove the camera (or spotting scope - I have two of these 'pods and I have a spotting scope mounted to the other) without all the faffing about.

I find this simple set up suits me fine.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    I don't have any fancy kit myself. No DSLR for me - I use a Kodak 'point and click' bridging camera. One of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kodak-Pixpro.../dp/B00CLERWOU

Mounted on one of these for stability:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/4148016.htm

This monopod is particularly good because it has a removable fixing plate if you need to remove the camera (or spotting scope - I have two of these 'pods and I have a spotting scope mounted to the other) without all the faffing about.

I find this simple set up suits me fine.
    Well for what it's worth, my dSLR is at least 6-7 years old. And I picked it up used for less tan 200£, and it came with an 18-135 IS lens...
    The other point...if you are happy with your kit, everyone can just...ehem...go away in a quick sort of pace...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I'm sorry to say I don't have a camera. I use my phone for all my photos. Up until a few months ago it was an HTC One X. Now it's an HTC One M8s. The photos aren't bad but the best thing is that I always have it with me.

All of the above, therefore, showing that you don't need to spend a lot of money to take good pictures!
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

I just take loads of photos, some times with a compact waterproof Pentax of my Fuji bridge camera, neither expensive......oh and I don't (can't) do photoshop!
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

Had a walk in the hills...

Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Rune, that is stunningly beautiful
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Interesting replies. Thank-you. The guys I work with all tell me I have to get a DSLR that does x,y and z, and get photoshop to post process. All I want is something that captures what I see as it is without "falsifying" the image with too much post editing. This thread proves that is possible, so thank-you again.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWalker View Post
    Interesting replies. Thank-you. The guys I work with all tell me I have to get a DSLR that does x,y and z, and get photoshop to post process. All I want is something that captures what I see as it is without "falsifying" the image with too much post editing. This thread proves that is possible, so thank-you again.
    It all depends what your needs are. If all you need a camera for is to shoot some pics from your bushcraft adventure in the local forest...or the north pole, to post them on NB or facebook...then almost any camera, including most of the ones on your mobile phones is more than capable of doing a decent job of it.

But such a camera is not actually capable of capturing what you see. Post processing is simply the equvalent of the old darkroom back in the days of film.
    But in a modern digital camera all that post processing. I.e optimizing the exposure, setting the contrast, white balance, color, etc is done for you in the camera, if you are shooting .jpg files, which most people do. But .jpg files are highly compressed. And you lose a lot of detail. ANd if you need to adjust contrast, exposure etc after you have taken the picture, you are losing a lot.

If you shoot RAW on the other hand, the raw file is lossless, and no post processing is done in the camera. You need software like lightroom to develop it, to bring out what you saw. But what you win is
    an enormous dynamic range. As none of what the sensor captured is lost in compression.

Here is one example:

In this picture it would be impossible to get a correct exposure using jpg. The camera can't deal with the bright sky and the darker ground. With jpg I am left with two choises. I can expose for the ground, and the sky would be completely blown out and over exposed. Or I can expose for the sky ( always choose the latter, i.e expose for the lightest part in the picture). What I get out of the camera is the
    picture on top. The sky is correctly expsoed, but the ground is completly blacked out, with no detail what so ever.

But because I was shooting raw, I can then use lightroom and bring back the detail in the low light areas. And get a result that is more like what I actually saw. Like these pictures shot just after sunset.

Picture 1: Exposed for the ground, sky blown out with no detail or color. A typical result of shooting with JPG. Nothing can be done to bring back the color, and detail as that "info" is lost by the Jpg compression. The only sollution would be to replace the sky in photoshop with one from another picture.

Picture 2: Exposed for the sky, but all detail on the ground is lost. If this is a jpg, there is no waty I can bring back the detail there, as it will be lost by the compression, and trying to bring it back by post processing will result in little more than horrible noise.

Picture 3. Exposed for the sky to preserve color in the sky. What comes out of the camera will be the same as for picture 2. But because I was able to shoot in RAW with my dSLR I can now post process the image to bring out detail and color on the ground. Here I have done noting but raising the exposure, ading som contrast etc. And the result is that the picture actually shows something similar to what I actually saw with my eyes.

(Roald Amundsen)