Thread: Waterproofing A Polish Lavvu

Alone in the Wilderness tigerbrew's Avatar

Talking Waterproofing A Polish Lavvu

Morning all.

I've just taken delivery of a Polish Army Lavvu, a teepee style cotton tent, made of two poncho garments that button together with a central pole for those unfarmiliar.
    I hope to use during the winter months as an alternative to hammock camping in the more inclement weather.

What I was wondering is what if anything do other lavvu owners do to provide more waterproofing protection to the lightweight tarpaulin type material it is made of or do you just do nothing to it ?

I was thinking of perhaps something like a Nikwax product or something similar but if anyone knows of a better product or even nothing at all then your thoughts are apreciated. It is by the way a brand new never issued one so it may have inherant waterproofing capabilities anyway.

Praise must go to Military Mart for their very quick response, following an unfortunate glitch in their system, my lavvu didn't get dispatched initially but following a phone call to them it arrived a day and a half later, brilliant job.

Cheers all, Steve W. G6JEF

I don't own the laavu (poor unfortunate me), but Mitch from NativeSurvival on youtube used a silicone spray for his.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4CL_ZXK470
    Not sure of the ones in new condition like yours would need it or not, so I'll shut-up now and let the folks on here who do own the laavu to give their input
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

I just used some wash in grangers stuff on mine worked a treat
    There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar, I love not man the less, but Nature more.

If I can jump in here, I have been playing with mine over the break and as far as I can tell the correct way to pitch is as above with the shoulder cape bits on the inside. Can someone confirm please?

I've always pitched mine with the shoulder bits on the inside as well.
    I've no idea if that's 'right' or 'wrong' and don't really care either way - it's the way I prefer to pitch it and is the way I'll continue to pitch it.

What I also did with mine was get rid of the internal pole - it really restricts what is a 'snug' fit anyway. Instead what I did was put a ring and hook in the apex (only the outer part - not going through the second layer (the shoulder bits)) and the either suspend the tent using a length of cord from an overhanging branch or get some poles to make an external A-frame. It really does free-up what limited space there is inside.

Interesting to see what people think about waterproofing the material. I've never had it out in serious rain. I find the angle of the tent is steep enough to throw off a relatively light shower. I do keep meaning to do some proper waterproofing on it so would be interested to see what others try.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    I have used the new "Nikwax Cotton Proof" on a separate poncho I have and after ironing(not sure if it was necessary, better safe than sorry) it really sheds water well.
    I tested it under a running tap and the water just runs off with no wetting of the canvas.
    Next I will have to do my Lavu.
    It is recommended to use Tech Wash before proofing.

I like the idea of the external frame

My usual shelter is a Go-lite Hex 3 so I am so used to a central pole I don't even see it. Also the family camper is a Tentipi seven man again don't really notice the pole.