Thread: My first buck saw (DIY) and weekend upside-down fire

My first buck saw (DIY) and weekend upside-down fire

This past weekend was our first weekend with the family at the campground. Not exactly wilderness camping but great family fun nonetheless! Hosted a few friends/families one evening so decided to go with the "upside down fire". My neighbor, a marine, said "this goes against everything I've ever learned about fire". I must say it is one of the hottest and greatest coal-producing fire lays out there.

Wanted a buck saw after seeing one in use repeatedly in skog's videos. I decided to make my own and studied lots of internet material. This is what I came up with. Made with some oak from Home Depot. It's got a slit up each upright and folds to completely cover the blade without having to disconnect the blade. I shaved it down to get weight around a pound and treated with linseed oil to bring out the grain. I didn't document this process in the same detail as I am my first axe restore, but I'll post some dimensions and detail when time allows. This photo was taken in the yard when I gave the saw a real test. Lots of tree limbing to get more sun out back. 4-6" branches cut off then sectioned for firewood. I was quite pleased!

Great work with the bucksaw...the folding ones are a bit tricky to construct.
    I completely agree with the upside-down fire. I first read about it in my old Boy Scout Handbook (Second Edition, from 1967 ), listed as the "Friendship Fire". Definitely a good one for a long-lasting blaze, and if you configure it right, you don't have to do much to keep it going because it's self-feeding .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by Paracordist View Post
    . This is what I came up with. Made with some oak from Home Depot. It's got a slit up each upright and folds to completely cover the blade without having to disconnect the blade.

Brilliant idea !!! Quick n'easy to set up and safe as well !!! Good looking tool too , you must be chuffed !!!

Cheers Whistle
    Last edited by Whistle; 29-05-2014 at 07:01 PM.
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

Very nice my friend. Love all the curves you have in there :-)
    Winter is coming

I have to get mine done. I purchased the blade for it almost 2 years ago!!

I want to make mine from Juniper. A traditional wood for making tools here, as it is very hard. No wild oak up here...
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 31-05-2014 at 10:31 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum