Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The island with bear!

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    Right.
    Well, I'd doubt many members on this forum watch those programmes you mention by their own choice (of course, if they watch them because a spouse wants to watch them is a different matter). Bushcrafters seem to me a very conservative bunch (note the small 'c', not being political) - as a generalisation I hasten to add - so I doubt they'd embrace such 'contemporary' viewing and phenomena. I stand to be corrected though. If there is a bunch of hard-core Celebrity Come Ice Dancing In The Jungle with Talent viewers on here then they should be proud and make themselves known!
    Not even a little bit conservative and don't see any reason why people who watch 'those programmes' shouldn't also love nature and appreciate the value of crafts. My grandfather was a master cabinetmaker whose marquetry work was exquisite, on the weekends he watched Bob Monkhouse and the Golden Shot and drank Watney's Red Barrel. I have two kids who frequently watch rubbish and are also passionate about the outdoors - their perfect day is a hard trek up a mountain (preferably Pyerenees but they'll settle for Pen y Fan), dinner over a fire and then watch Spongebob Squarepants on the mobile 'phone in their sleeping bags. My concern is that bushcraft (and the outdoors) should not be cast as the province of a particular type - this is precisely what the National Trust actively, albeit implicitly, does. Bushcraft is essentially the gift of knowledge transmitted across generations of working people from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures, most of whom were at home with the popular entertainment of their day. There is nothing incompatible with a love of bushcraft and consumption of popular culture - indeed, it is inherent within the roots of all crafts.

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    Not even a little bit conservative and don't see any reason why people who watch 'those programmes' shouldn't also love nature and appreciate the value of crafts. My grandfather was a master cabinetmaker whose marquetry work was exquisite, on the weekends he watched Bob Monkhouse and the Golden Shot and drank Watney's Red Barrel. I have two kids who frequently watch rubbish and are also passionate about the outdoors - their perfect day is a hard trek up a mountain (preferably Pyerenees but they'll settle for Pen y Fan), dinner over a fire and then watch Spongebob Squarepants on the mobile 'phone in their sleeping bags. My concern is that bushcraft (and the outdoors) should not be cast as the province of a particular type - this is precisely what the National Trust actively, albeit implicitly, does. Bushcraft is essentially the gift of knowledge transmitted across generations of working people from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures, most of whom were at home with the popular entertainment of their day. There is nothing incompatible with a love of bushcraft and consumption of popular culture - indeed, it is inherent within the roots of all crafts.
    Well said. Too many people too quick to stereotype or judge.

BG shows are still fake/misleading excrement though.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Fair enough, but my daughter still wants to marry him!

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post

Fair enough, but my daughter still wants to marry him!
    Attachment 12158
    [

Quote Originally Posted by ADz View Post
    Well said. Too many people too quick to stereotype or judge.

Well there is a perfect example of a contradiction in terms.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    I also laugh at you..........my camel is still in hysterics from another thread

Attachment 12159
    Last edited by Silverback; 29-05-2014 at 09:06 AM.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    And please explain to me how that is a contradiction in terms??

I was in no way "quick to judge" or "stereotype" the BG show. I have watched and looked into it and done research to come to my conclusion.

So in actual fact its you who was quick to judge
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Quote Originally Posted by ADz View Post
    And please explain to me how that is a contradiction in terms??

I was in no way "quick to judge" or "stereotype" the BG show. I have watched and looked into it and done research to come to my conclusion.

So in actual fact its you who was quick to judge
    It was the line ' Too many people too quick to stereotype or judge' - maybe not of Bear, but of 'people'?
    Last edited by Humakt; 29-05-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    It was the line ' Too many people too quick to stereotype or judge' - maybe not of Bear, but of 'people'?
    Ah maybe

Been away all week on Scout camp and keep looking at these types of threads with annoyance. Well now I'm back and would like to express my continued annoyance in a particularly strong way but would be breaking the forum rules in doing so.
    There seems to be this persistent 'anti Bear' thing that floats around on this forum, and I have voiced my displeasure before on a previous thread that basically had the same drivel in it. I can't for the life of me understand why the hell folks that dislike BG so much still feel compelled to watch his programmes just so that they can criticise them in exactly the same way that they have before. If such open and publicly visible opinions towards an individual were posted on other forums it would get you banned. To my knowledge this has never been suggested on here, and it is not my place to suggest or implement on NBC, and I do believe that folks have the right to their own opinions. Here is a suggestion though - stop watching the programmes and keep such strong opinions to yourselves. Even the venerable RM has had the decency to refer to BG in a more lenient manner in recent times without resorting to the pettiness of other so called experts.

Respect the man for what he has achieved and the work he does for the youth of today. And be honest, if you had the chance to do what he does, and earn the kind of money he gets for doing it, wouldn't you do the same? I would.