Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The island with bear!

Its back, who watched the guys island last night?

Tonight at 9pm shows the girls island.

Hopefully this episode doesn't take 2 people wearing glasses to realise they can start a fire with their glasses quicker than trying to do a friction fire for the 1st time ever.

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    Put my foot through my goggle box in a celebrity/reality TV related rage years ago. UK television ceased being entertaining 99% of the time decades ago so I was a little bit late. Have an HD projector and love it ^^ In control & watch what I want when I want.

Bear Gryll's has never featured but there's worse eejits out there than him...
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

Samuel Hearne
    I have got the series on record and will watch it later.

I eventually just got round to watching this, and apologies if I'm repeating anything as I did start to read the thread through but time is quite precious at the moment so could not read it all.

As a magician this issue is the same old, same old. David who and who is doing this, and David who and who is doing something else etc. etc. But, I bet their shit (off camera) in real life etc. etc. But the gods honest truth is that they are not.

I did study TV production and have done lots of freelance work in post production, a very small amount in pre production and a reasonable amount in production.

Please forget everything that you may assume about TV personalities who are portrayed as experts in any field. It's all just the business that is show business. If they, any of them, never knew their stuff they would not be on TV. Bottom Line.

As a general assumption you can probably (not always) assume that the the guys who decided to choose the stars of any show are fantastic at their job and the guys they choose are also a million times more knowledgeable about the given subject than you or me (obviously not always the case).

But...................

Never, ever.

Judge someone like Ray Mears, or Bear Grills by what you see on TV.

Just as you should never ever judge Dot Cotton or...., actually that's the only soap opera character I know....., by how the script writer portrays her, or how the editor changes the story up from the rushes (original footage) once the script writer would never recognised the original story they wrote.

YouTube is currently different, the talent are editing themselves. But beware, that will change and you are not going to notice.

David.
    Last edited by Magicdave; 01-08-2015 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicdave View Post

Never, ever.

Judge someone like Ray Mears, or Bear Grills by what you see on TV.

Just as you should never ever judge Dot Cotton or...., actually that's the only soap opera character I know....., by how the script writer portrays her, or how the editor changes the story up from the rushes (original footage) once the script writer would never recognised the original story they wrote.

YouTube is currently different, the talent are editing themselves. But beware, that will change and you are not going to notice.

David.
    I like that statement and it reflects a view that I have stated myself when the anti crew start showing themselves.

The new series started last night. I only caught it as I just finished watching Guy Martin and his wall of death.
    The new series has birds and blokes on the island together, although dropped off at different points so neither group know the other is there.
    Besides the normal teddy`s out the prams after they landed it seemed the same old nonsense as before.
    The biggest shock for me was the doctor in the birds group finding a water source in what looked like a still muddy pool, it tasted of salt and smelt and tasted of eggs, yet she pronounced it fit to drink. They boiled it and had some, almost immediately they were gagging and soon after several fell ill.
    Unfortunately the doctor didn`t seem to pinpoint the cause to the water which was nowhere near potable, instead she told the group to drink more to get rid of the sickness.
    It`s a bit worrying that the person is probably a junior doctor in the nhs and yet cannot identify what is potable and what is stagnant water, a basic human requirement.
    I consoled myself with the fact that when the junior doctors of the nhs next go on strike, they are probably saving lives by not being available to make diagnosis.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I was watching the urban Bushcrafters "Steptoe & Son" & "Steptoe & Son..Ride Again"
    Regards
    David

The recent season is pretty decent. I love the idea of the old vs the young. It just shows you the difference in attitude

Quote Originally Posted by JayLake View Post
    The recent season is pretty decent. I love the idea of the old vs the young. It just shows you the difference in attitude
    they all have me shouting at the telly - they are supposed to have done a two week course yet have no grasp of any basics.

I blame the C4 thing years ago where all they did was sunbathe for a month. Bushcraft island or something like that produced by andy peters - who used to work with ed the duck IIRC

the adverts for participants need a disclaimer that anyone with any knowledge need not apply.