Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WIP file knife in the making

i hope it helps, this will be my 11th file knife and i hope i can pass on what i've learnt along the way

checking the annealed file this morning seems to have gone well... no warping and as you can see in the second pic is now workable.
    its important to heat the file evenly to prevent warping so try and keep it in line, edge up and central in the heat with a hot spot long enough to accommodate the full length of the file. you dont need huge amounts of air once the fire is hot i just feather the fan gently till the file starts to glow a dull red and let it sit

the other little piece is a left over im going to make into a fire steel striker

first job this morning was to mark out the position for the holes on the file

right from the off i knew it wasnt going to be easy! plenty of lubrication, i use an old drill for the file knifes as dont want to burn out my piller drill! had to re sharpen and heat treat the drill bits 4 times!

bit of cake while i wait for the drill to cool down enough i can hold it!

an hour later and the holes are drilled! the larger one i'll work out with a file to take weight out of the tang... has been a beast to drill! but thats the hardest part done...

That drill bit is ruined mate, time to get a new one As soon as they change colour they can't keep their edge. Same as a knife, but being HSS (or at least partly HSS) they need special heat treatment to re-harden them.
    I'd try and get some cobalt bits. It's what I use, as they are a lot harder and keep their edge better, so less resistance, less heat build up.
    Glad to see you use WD for coolant though. You can't beat it
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage View Post
    That drill bit is ruined mate, time to get a new one As soon as they change colour they can't keep their edge. Same as a knife, but being HSS (or at least partly HSS) they need special heat treatment to re-harden them.
    I'd try and get some cobalt bits. It's what I use, as they are a lot harder and keep their edge better, so less resistance, less heat build up.
    Glad to see you use WD for coolant though. You can't beat it
    thats my heat treat thats changed the colour when im drilling its very slow short bursts with plenty of wd40
    the only way to get them hard is a cold salt water quench after getting the tip orange hot... i saved my good bits for the 01 steel
    Last edited by MJ.; 28-05-2014 at 02:57 PM.

about to start cutting out and grinding the profile... safety first!

first cut the larger pieces with a cutting disc

and after half an hour or so with a grinding disc the rough profile is done

next... breaking the 90's with the grinder before moving onto the belt sander to grind the bevels...

Quote Originally Posted by MJ. View Post
    the only way to get them hard is a cold salt water quench after getting the tip orange hot
    I must admit, I've never tried brine quench on them before. I would have thought it would be too much of a shock. Will give it a go next time I try it.
    Have never had to re-harden any of my Co bits yet, but I use a pillar drill at 500rpm, and pretty constant spray of WD40. Have used them for stainless, O1, A2, and old files high carbon stuff. I have three of the main sizes that I use, so I don't have to stop and sharpen them during a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage View Post
    I must admit, I've never tried brine quench on them before. I would have thought it would be too much of a shock. Will give it a go next time I try it.
    Have never had to re-harden any of my Co bits yet, but I use a pillar drill at 500rpm, and pretty constant spray of WD40. Have used them for stainless, O1, A2, and old files high carbon stuff. I have three of the main sizes that I use, so I don't have to stop and sharpen them during a job.
    next on the list is a better set of bits... i bought some bosch titanium bits but dont rate them. the hardening in brine was a last ditch effort to get a hole drilled in another file knife, after two hours going through all my old drill bits getting nowhere thought what the heck. the bit you see in the pic is a cheap 8mm hss bit and its gone through a few files now after repeated re sharpening, heating and a brine quenching... i have a 6mm as well gets the same treatment but they're both getting shorter!.
    i must look like a right bodger!... but it works its the only bit of file knife making i dont like!

Quote Originally Posted by MJ. View Post
    i must look like a right bodger!... but it works
    If it works, then it's all you need mate. Nothing wrong with bodging things together either. All my forges and my belt grinder are bodged together from all sorts of stuff

thats all for today, hollowed out some of the tang to help with balance and put a rough bevel on the blade with the angle grinder which i'll tidy up on the belt sander tomorrow