Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bio ethanol vs meths

Bio ethanol vs meths

Anyone ever used bio ethanol? What's the pros and cons vs meths please gents? Used in trangia burner.

Yep, been using the Fuel4 bio ethanol to see what it is like.

First thing really is the smell. It is so much better than meths. Secondly, the fumes given off are much safer. Ethanol gives off water vapour and carbon dioxide when burnt as opposed to carbon monoxide from meths, so should be much safer when burning near enclosed spaces. And also you don't get the sooty residue all over the bottom of the pan. Still wouldn't try it inside the tent just yet but I should be using it multiple times over the next few weeks and get a better feel for it.

My son has been using the Fuel4 bio gel as at 11 years old the fluid is just too unpredictable at the moment. You do use a fair bit in comparison to the fluids, and cost is another issue, but safety comes first and I sleep better knowing that he can use the X series stove without any problems.

Thanks jus-young might give it a try if I can find some local.

Works fine, I use ethanol and methanol.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    Works fine, I use ethanol and methanol.
    I'd like to give it a try, what do you buy it as Rik? Did I read somewhere it's called Panel wipe, or is there another common product sold as Methanol/Ethanol?

NO, panel wipe is a sort of naptha based fuel used in petrol stoves. I got the methanol off ebay and bio ethanol from B&Q.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    NO, panel wipe is a sort of naptha based fuel used in petrol stoves. I got the methanol off ebay and bio ethanol from B&Q.
    I had a feeling I had it wrong...... Best to ask if you're not sure!! Thanks, I'll see if I can capture some from B&Q I think.

Few hours later...Got some!!

I didn't realise a Pantomime was part of the drill though...

To young teenage girl B&Q assistant..." Do you stock Bio Ethanol please?"
    Blank look..." What's it for?"
    " It's a fuel for burning..."
    " Like charcoal?"
    " No it's liquid "
    " Liquid for burning??" Big puzzled blue eyes...

Couldn't resist this..." Yep, I use it as fuel to launch my Moon rockets, NASA have run out"
    She takes a step backwards and then realises I'm about to collapse with laughter....

Problem solved. In our local B&Q Bio Ethanol is kept off display, it's stowed away in a storeroom and you have to ask for it, she didn't know the drill...........
    Last edited by saxonaxe; 25-11-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Additional

I have used Bioethanol from B&Q for quite a while now, the great thing for me is that the flame is visible in bright sunlight, a warning - used it in a whitebox stove with a nimblewill as a windshield, it got a bit excited by the high localised temperature created which compounded the issue, be careful, as once it starts, it becomes increasingly dangerous to stop, (burns a high volume of fuel at the same time)
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Use a Trangia burner and you can control the flame with the simmer ring and snuff out the flame with the simmer ring.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

B n Q is the place to obtain your Bio Ethanol,£5 for 2litres.
    La Hacienda.BIO ETHANOL,95%Ethonal,Especially for Bio Ethanol Fireplaces.
    These are the "Mock Fires"but with real flickering flames.and safe to burn in houses with no chimneys.
    It is not stocked in large quantities,Health n Safety.but can be ordered and arrives at store over night.
    If your B n Q stocks it it will be on its own in a metal tray next to the Fires.not with the others white spirit ,meths solvents etc.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown