Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bio ethanol vs meths

I have also been using this pretty exclusively now for the last couple of months as opposed to meths.

Last weekends trip was an Exmoor excursion training groups for Ten Tors where the temperatures didn't get much above freezing and even dropped below when it was time to cook my evening meal. Like you say Simon, it doesn't like being cold but I just don't like using gas stoves and even some of those being used by the young folks were struggling.

I will be staying with it for some time to come I think and have plenty of trips in the diary what with Ten Tors and DofE. The daughter can have my Trangia gas stove and I will have her meths stove as an exchange so I have a back up if ever needed.

Wish I'd read this thread a week ago before spending £6 on two bottles of meths for my cooker!! Will have a jolly to B&Q at the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    I have also been using this pretty exclusively now for the last couple of months as opposed to meths.

Last weekends trip was an Exmoor excursion training groups for Ten Tors where the temperatures didn't get much above freezing and even dropped below when it was time to cook my evening meal. Like you say Simon, it doesn't like being cold but I just don't like using gas stoves and even some of those being used by the young folks were struggling.

I will be staying with it for some time to come I think and have plenty of trips in the diary what with Ten Tors and DofE. The daughter can have my Trangia gas stove and I will have her meths stove as an exchange so I have a back up if ever needed.
    Well I am a convert to it.... As I said, I used my Trangia exclusively, and once it got going, it was excellent. But then again, even meths doesn't like the cold, so no concerns in that respect, and yes Jus, the silence is lovely.......
    Utringue Paratus

Northern Soul Bushcraft.......

Go Outdoors stock 'Fuel4 Bio-Ethanol Spirit (5 Litres)' at £15.30 if you have a discount card.
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/search/go?view=grid&w=bio
    when we destroy something created by man we call it vandalism, but when we destroy something created by nature we call it progress.

The La Hacienda fuel from B&Q was about £7 for two of the 2.5 litre bottles last time I went in

As an avid meths user.........erm what I mean is a Trangia user, this thread has given me food for thought!!!

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."