Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best wood combination for hand drill?

best wood combination for hand drill?

Hello everyone, I'm from Ireland and I was wondering what the best woods for the hand drill would be? Everywhere I go I get different answers so what do you think? Thanks in advance!

There is not best set. Sycamore on sycamore was my first success. I find a hazel spindle best, with a lime hearth fantastic, as is holly, ivy, cedar. Try different sets, see what works best for you.
    Good luck
    He who says "he can" and he who says "he can't", are both usually right.

Quote Originally Posted by irishbushcraftmarine View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm from Ireland and I was wondering what the best woods for the hand drill would be? Everywhere I go I get different answers so what do you think? Thanks in advance!
    Hi,welcome to the forum,I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I will pop up n give u a tutorial.Its customery to Introduce yourself on the appropriate section of the forum first etc.you'll soon find your way around.atb.M
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Dia duit ar tráthnóna! Fáilte go dtí an bpobal bushcraft
    I haven't yet played around with friction fire, but many folks on this side of the Water have success with mullein (drill) and linden (hearth board).
    Slán go fóill
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    It's a tough one as it realy depends on what's around at the time. Hazel works for the spindle well, however I've found sweet chestnut to be the best for both spindle and board in my opinion. The best advice I can give is look for a good sound piece of hardwood for the spindle and hearth, but also experiment with it all. Even failures are a good lesson tbh. ATB Shug.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    As Midas says, introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about your experience.. there seems to be a renaissance in hand drill in Ireland at the minute.

Elder on Ivy always works well for me, cut it wet to get the perfect pieces and dry it out for the best results.

Quote Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
    Elder on Ivy always works well for me, cut it wet to get the perfect pieces and dry it out for the best results.
    How long would you suggest waiting to die and dry out after cutting?

Quote Originally Posted by irishbushcraftmarine View Post
    How long would you suggest waiting to die and dry out after cutting?
    It depends on the time of year and if the wife will let you keep it in the airing cuboard!
    Over the winter will take a couple of months but in the warmth of the sun it could only take a couple of weeks to dry it out, theres no real diffinative answer Im afraid, will be a bit of trail and error.

Great thanks for the help! And thanks to everybody else for ypur combinations and advice aswell.
    Marc