Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kinda urgent help needed for daughter re: lightweight backpack

I hope this isn't adding more noise to the signal: Osprey have a 48L pack that has a 'large range torso adjustable backsystem and hipbelt' (for instance here - http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product....tegory_id=1904) that is specifically designed to accomodate a range of sizes as kids grow. This may offer more degrees of freedom in terms of adjustment than conventional packs and is hopefully large enough for the moment... ATB

I can also vouch for the Osprey Exos, Its a great pack and one of the lightest full proper backframe packs you can get. I would have preferred slightly wider hib belts but its still comfy.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Ok, so as you have previously said, sounds like the problem is down to two things. One is the padding issue around the hips where the weight needs to be, and two could well be the actual frame of the packs.

Rather than dealing with 'conventional' packs as we see them in the UK, you may need to look at some of the packs from our American cousins. There are a few manufactures from over there that make the packs with minimal framework, and the frame that does exist, if at all, can be shaped easily to provide a more comfortable fit. Padding on the belts can also be more favourable for the smaller frame as well.

Have a look on this site as they stock a range of these style packs in different capacities and also have a very good Youtube channel with reviews and info.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/30...litres/page/0/

Their customer service is also excellent so if you have any questions they will get back in touch.
    Thanks for the link, I think the least of the evils, as they say, would be the Brenta 50L but I can't find a local stockist so it would mean ordering online (Amazon have it) and returning if it's no good. It may come to that but I've since found 3 separate reviews on the Deuter ACT lite 45 + 10 who say this bag is the best for for petite frames. Ironically one is from a parent of a girl whose height and weight are identical to that of my daughter and this was apparently the only one they could find to fit her properly. Another review was from a young woman who was the same height and only a few pounds heavier. I realise this doesn't necessarily mean it will fit my girl well but it looks promising on paper.

The back has an adjustment system identical to that of the Berghaus Torridon and has very similar padding so I'm hopeful it may feel better for her. It's not as light as the Exos but nor is it as heavy as the Torridon, it comes in at 1.5kg compared to the 1.73kg of the Torridon. It is also only 28cm wide compared to 42cm of the Torridon so it may not overwhelm her frame as much. My only concern is the height of it. It's 2cm shorter than the Torridon but it looks as though it may sit high up judging where the straps are, it may be too 'top heavy' if it's far above her head. It will be tomorrow before I can get her to a store to try it out, but in the meantime I'll continue to make a short list of possibles and where they can be got from. Thanks again for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by sjl14 View Post
    Not sure if this would help but what about trying a smaller size rucksack that she finds comfortable and combining it with a ribz front pack?
    I haven't seen those before, I can see they would be quite useful in the right setting. However daughter thinks she would feel even more weighed down if she had something on both front and back and tbh I can see where she's coming from on that. Appreciate the suggestion though, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    I hope this isn't adding more noise to the signal: Osprey have a 48L pack that has a 'large range torso adjustable backsystem and hipbelt' (for instance here - http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product....tegory_id=1904) that is specifically designed to accomodate a range of sizes as kids grow. This may offer more degrees of freedom in terms of adjustment than conventional packs and is hopefully large enough for the moment... ATB
    I didn't realise kids packs went to that size. I don't think Osprey are the brand for her tbh but if the Deuter doesn't work out then I'll certainly look at other kids versions, thank you.

Hi guys, just thought I'd come back and update this in case it helps anyone else in the future.

The Deuter ACT Lite 45+10 SL bag is an absolute winner for small frames and shorter people. It fitted my daughter like a glove and she says it feels comfortable on. The only (small) issue I have is that it is a 'high' bag, by that I mean it sits high on the back so the top of the bag is level with the top of her head. Most of the other brands we tried sat lower than this. On the setting for taller people it would obviously sit lower but she has to have it adjusted to suit her frame and height and this means it sits high. To be fair the Berhaus Torridon did this too but to a slightly lesser degree.

However this doesn't bother her in the least, it was just an issue I had. Hopefully it will remain stable due to it fitting well and the height of it wont matter. It was quite difficult tracking this model down, many stores stocked Deuter but not this model, I have no idea why. It seems to be the answer for the more petite person.

Thanks for the help and I hope this thread may help others in a similar situation.

Quote Originally Posted by sjl14 View Post
    Not sure if this would help but what about trying a smaller size rucksack that she finds comfortable and combining it with a ribz front pack?
    Thats the way to go I would think. Pop into a large Tesco and look at their packs, some are really very good.
    Richard
    South Wales UK