Thread: Lightweight Ripstop Nylon Suppliers

Lightweight Ripstop Nylon Suppliers

Anybody know of, or had dealings with a company that sells waterproof lightweight ripstop nylon.

I'm thinking about making a lightweight quilt and finding somewhere to get it is taking me forever.

Cheers Neil

Samuel Hearne
    Have a look on evil bay I bought some rip stop nylon from there and it was quite cheap.

I used thjs guy Chubbs to make mine, Its really lightweight but very windproof as its for parachutes http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ripstop-Ny...item19eba699a5 ATB,Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Careful - the stuff listed as parachute fabric will not be as windproof as you may think, it needs to have a certain degree of permeability for the parachutes to work correctly. That is one of the reasons that the newly manufactured material gets rejected. Got that straight from a manufacturer when I went searching for the stuff myself for a project. The siliconised stuff isn't waterproof either, only water resistant because the air permeability allows the wind to blow a fine mist through the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Careful - the stuff listed as parachute fabric will not be as windproof as you may think, it needs to have a certain degree of permeability for the parachutes to work correctly. That is one of the reasons that the newly manufactured material gets rejected. Got that straight from a manufacturer when I went searching for the stuff myself for a project. The siliconised stuff isn't waterproof either, only water resistant because the air permeability allows the wind to blow a fine mist through the fabric.
    I agree Jus, but I have used this stuff and it fairly good for the price, It will hold water like bucket and not let a drop through and I have had no probs with wind penetration with it, I even made a light weight tarp with it as well as my UQ, Its a happy medium of price / quality for me. ps, the permeability of it can go both ways.... sometimes it doesnt let enough air through the weave !
    Last edited by Rasputin; 13-05-2014 at 11:06 PM.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Then you may have found just the stuff I was looking for

May have to revisit my tarp project now although I found that silicon stuff a pig to sew.

Thanks for the help guys.

While on my search again last night I came across this company that sells so many different types of lightweight material. What do you think I should use and are their prices compareable to others on the web.

http://www.profabrics.co.uk/index.php?1400052731

Cheers

I found that silicon stuff a pig to sew.
    your not wrong there Jus, you have to have your tensions and foot presure spot on and even then it still puckers or jams, evil material but worth the effort , Ken

For anyone interested I siliconise and also use as a seam sealant a mix I make up myself, 1 part clear silicone and 2-3 parts white spirits. Use a small paint brush to seam seal and soak in a bucket to siliconise sheet nylon. Hell of a lot cheaper sealing seams than the tubes of the stuff. You canpaint or roller it on a sheet but dunkin is better but messy