Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold steel axe opinions

Cold steel axe opinions

Good evening All.
    Been smacking my lips for a tomahawk now for some time. Having decided there's no chance of a hand forged replica of a 1700/1800 pattern til the funds get sharper, however I've been sharing reviews of the different available patterns from Cold Steel.
    Does any one of this parish have direct experience of either the riflemans/trail or pipe hawk?
    Many thanks
    Winter is coming

I use a cold steel trail hawk (modified) and I am quite happy with it for light work.http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...achmentid=6526
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Links not working BJ, but I will have a search...
    Winter is coming

Yeah, I have the trail hawk, just needed a bit of sharpening up & works a treat, it's not too heavy, splits very well.
    I use it in combination with a saw & hardly ever use my knife anymore.

For me it's to match the period I want to learn the most from and prior to and so it will 'match' the look I want to have. I also want to make sure it is fully practical and after watching reviews and first hand views from brothers of this parish, I'm ordering today :-)
    Going for the pipe hawk version and already have a piece of maple waiting to be shaped nd fitted
    Winter is coming

good luck with it blood,look forward to a few pics when you get sorted ...atb kev

Saxonaxe has one which he did some mods to, as well .
    I know a lot of other folks who own them, too, and I've heard naught but favourable reviews - the steel is good, but it's a project to make it into an ideal demahigan. Still, it's better than spending twice or three-times that amount .
    Eager to see your progress and pics .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Hi Blood, have you tried this place for ideas http://jas-townsend.com/tomahawks-c-20_59.html
    ATB Bri
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .

Nice find bri, shame there US otherwise the prices are very good. Import duty would make them same if not more than buying here. Love the long trade knives and the throwing blades.
    Winter is coming

I'm a big fan of these little Tomahawks. Lightweight, adaptable, versatile, cheap-ish and collapsible, they tick all my boxes for a small camp axe, and they are eminently modifiable too.
    I have two now. I bought my first one and did a few mods on it after reading a thread on a bushcraft site and have recently picked up another secondhand to have a play with.

The two heads side by side, as you can see the paint has been stripped off with somee Nitromors and the heads have been given a re-profile of both the cutting edge and the profile. A vinegar patina makes the heads less susceptible to rust and gives a somewhat matt finish.

The wood was just sanded and given a bit of flame distressing before several coats of Danish oil to protect it. I got one leather mask with the secondhand axe, and now just need to make a new one for the first and they are good to go.

There are lots of youtube videos on this little hawk that show just how versatile a tool this is, and remember if you get bored, you can even throw it.