Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horses Hoof

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

Horses Hoof

hello,
    As NBC will know horses hoof fungi 'fomes fomentarius' (commonly known as the tinder fungus, tinder bracket). My mate came across this last year on a fallen Birch tree looked like someone had given the fungi a whack so he harvested what remained. There are various processes for preparing or improving such as tinder, including producing amadou. It's been stored in his shed & now ready to share. I think once we each have our share there will be at least 2 tobacco tins full each & as known only small pieces are required for fire lighting, once ignited, even a small lump can smoulder for hours or a larger piece can be used for carrying an ember or rekindling a fire at a later stage, so what we have should last sometime. As I've not stored such before if anyone has any further knowledge to share on storage this would be appreciated. If stored I no doubt will be keeping it in the baccy tins unless there are any other better methods suggestions? I'm more thinking along the lines of the spores I don't want to store this for a period of time & find that it's multiplied or other. Tried & tested a small piece with the flint & steel ignites brilliant a nice ember produced. Again when I've time I'll post some photo's of the spoils.
    Regards
    David

Tribesman
    Look forward to the pics David.
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

One with Nature
    hello,
    Thanks rossbird. I've not stored such before for a long term use, if anyone has any further knowledge to share on storage of fungi this would be appreciated. I've received a couple of tips on storage. Store in a cool dry place, tight sealed dry container, large amounts 'freeze' until I'm ready to use then thaw dry out. Avoid small insects from entering the storage container. I shall definitely use the tinder I doubt I'll be able to use the amount I'm due within the year. I'll post photo's when I have received such.
    Regards
    David

One with Nature
    hello,
    A couple of images now I've had time. My share of the bounty from the past month bagged into 8" inch x 5" inch zip bags, each bag weighs roughly near as 10gms as per image. I split the others down to near as 5gms (now gone) shared with the lads in the Scouts the remainder is all now spoken for. I've another 30gms+ in weight to bag & share. As NBC community are aware only very small amounts of Amadou tinder are required for fire lighting, once ignited even a small lump can smoulder long enough to start a fire. I'm positive these amounts will last a long time. Tried & tested storing in various locations last few weeks, crisper drawer in fridge works perfect & a cool dry place in cupboard. Any spare from this last batch I'll share with NBC forum 'Buy, Sell, or Gift section.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	12150

Quite the load, there, David . Haven't thought of using the ice box for long term storage, but that's given me an idea .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

One with Nature
    hello,
    T.Y for the reply. It was a fair size lump that was harvested resourced, my mate gave me most of the find to share & pass onto our friend in the Scouts. I've placed the Amadou in the bags within an airtight plastic container in the crisp drawer on trial storage methods it does work BTW. I've used Amadou before but not long term storage. I'm going to try & test how long I can store such *shelf life through the coming months.
    Regards
    David

Sounds good to me
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Hello David. How was this prepared?

One with Nature
    hello,
    Briefly it's a long process starting with scraping away the outer layers of the fungi, soaking to remove the spores in a washing soda solution, followed by rinsing to remove the excess solution & spores, pressing or flattening with a rubber mallet when wet, drying, cutting. My mate started the process after he found the fallen tree with the fungi near to where he lives forages & shared the bounty with me & from an earlier batch find. Both were resourced from the same area from 2013 & from what he has told me he resources such from various trees, he informed me once you have found an area that produces Horses Hoof keep the location to yourself & don't take too many brackets off the same tree let it mature to spread for future harvests. It seems someone has either spotted such or just act of sheer vandalism/stupidity & whacked the fungi including the ground fungi etc.. breaking up some very good brackets, the ground fungi were well whacked up from what he said along with divots. There was a load harvested stored in a cool dry place ready prepped. You Tube is also a great resource for prepping Amadou from Horses Hoof fungi. Hopefully of some interest to you.
    Regards
    David
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 26-05-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Thanks David. I heard that it was time consuming. I will check out YouTube for some guidance and tuition. I saw some recently and may have a go if confident of doing something with it. Cheers.