Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FREE Rabbit Hunting St Austell, Cornwall

Alone in the Wilderness

FREE Rabbit Hunting St Austell, Cornwall

Have approx. 3 acres of land near St Austell, Cornwall with around 20+ confirmed rabbit sightings of varying sizes.

Would give permission/access for someone responsible to come on the land and hunt for a weekend to control the population and take away some free meat etc. Happy for you to use any legal method to hunt, although ferreting/traps/snares/air rifle would be preferred to avoid annoying neighbouring land owners.

Also if no takers then I wouldn't mind learning some advice on techniques myself as I have tried a live trap but I've never caught anything in it. I don't know if I'm using it the wrong way or if I'm not using tried and tested baits, I guess why come in the confines of the trap for some bits of carrot/apple when they can have free run of the grass...

Thanks

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    PM sent.
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Thanks Martin, reply PM sent

Sounds like an opportunity to watch and learn... Never really got into culling or rabbiting to be fair

Might have to pop up that way......hmmmm....bunny burgers!

Trapper
    You have a PM.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Just to say a huge thank you to everyone for their interest, I think we now have someone in mind for rabbit control/hunting, thanks again...

Yeah, I didn't think it would take long to find a hoard at your door begging to be allowed this opportunity.

Personally I'd be keen to buy a rifle and hunt if I knew there was a place I would be permitted to do this. Hunting and gathering fresh food is something I think I felt "right" about when I first started fishing and spearfishing.

I don't suppose you know anyone in South Devon with the same problem?

Alone in the Wilderness
    Thanks Bernie, yes I am also interested in getting an air rifle as well and have discussed this with the person that has very kindly offered to come around. I love the outdoors/hunting/gathering/survival etc I just don't think I'm currently very good at it because I haven't really had someone with much knowledge and experience show me the ropes, I have self taught myself a few bits but I want to get into it a lot more and become a bit more self sufficient. Plus rabbit can be very tasty and is underrated!!

I have to admit I have done a bit of rabbiting with ferrets/shotguns on friends/family on farms, but they are a bit too far away to assist me for a few rabbits in return and I don't want the hassle myself of applying for a firearms license. But I would consider an air rifle, at the moment I don't really know how good a sub 12 ft lbs with scope would be able to take out rabbits cleanly and at what range etc. Hope to be able to find this out.

Unfortunately I don't know of anyone in South Devon with the same problem, but I'm sure you could ask around at local farms or I'm happy for anyone in South Devon wanting to control rabbits to reply to this thread as well.

Best of luck with your endeavours matey... Cheers...

Got plenty to sort out in yorkshire.Shot 16 this am 6to8am.Mild winter certainly increased the "young bunnies.".lovely on the BBQ or stir fry.MMMmmmmmm.

Ps,Any good airgun producing 10 or 11ftlbs,will take rabbits out to 35 yards.Most people advocate a .22,but one has to bear in mind its curved trejectory!I perfer a .177 much flatter shooting,and go for head shots.Hope this helps.??
    Last edited by midas; 06-05-2014 at 06:34 PM.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown