Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP on rucksack.

HELP on rucksack.

Hey all I'm after a new rucksack that is specious enough for a couple days away or for a day out. I can't afford to much but would like something like this.

Can anyone recommend any type ?

What Litre is best ? 25L or 35L

Thankyou.

What's your budget? It would give us a better idea of what to recommend.

How about one of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Highlander...item460237724c

Last edited by ADz; 29-04-2014 at 10:03 PM.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Hi ADz was looking at those. Can anyone recommend these ?

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by ADz View Post
    What's your budget? It would give us a better idea of what to recommend.

How about one of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Highlander...item460237724c

Is that waterproof?

I can spend about 35 to 40

Highlander packs tend to be pretty good quality. Not sure about comfort on long journeys, or the effective capacity of them.

I recently bought a 38L NI patrol pack, for £35, brand new. I think the 38L must be just the main compartment, because it holds much more than any other pack of the same stated size. It is also water resistant (I'd even say shower proof), but even so called "waterproof" packs could do with a 40L drysack for a liner (about £10-£15 for one of the Karrimor offerings).
    It "should" hold plenty for a couple of nights or more, but it all depends on the weather and location you'll be out in. If you have to pack a huge sleeping bag, then you'll want to go for at least 100L, but for a small summer bag you'd get away with 40-50L (in a well designed pack). The size of your cooking kit also makes a difference. If you want to use 16cm billy cans, griddles, large kettles, etc, then you'll need a pack with a large single main compartment, or something with decent sized side pouches. If you have a tiny kettle and a couple of small nesting pans, then you don't need to worry too much about it.
    Your form of shelter is another thing that makes a big difference. A small tent will take up several times the room that a silnylon tarp will, unless you strap it to the outside somewhere.

You're doing the right thing by asking for suggestions though, as buying a pack online can cause serious hassle. Most manufacturers vastly exaggerate the capacities of their packs, and the design of the compartments can halve the effective use of a packs capacity.

I'd go for the NI pack, but that's just my opinion. It's in the price range (if you shop about), and it'll hold a good amount of kit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kombat-Briti.../dp/B007KK7PUQ

Forgot to add, I didn't buy mine from this supplier, but it's the same pack.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Capsos View Post
    Hi ADz was looking at those. Can anyone recommend these ?
    How about the owner of the site? Its the pack what he uses/used and has a video on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Law View Post
    Is that waterproof?
    Not sure but you can always use a roll top dry bag of same capacity inside. I would use one whether the bag is supposed to be waterproof or not.

[edit] Yes it's supposed to be waterproof and seems a very nice budget pack.

Also the link I gave is for the 25L but there is also 35 and 45.
    Last edited by ADz; 30-04-2014 at 08:10 AM.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I'm not aware of any rucksack that is waterproof and certainly not one in the price bracket you're looking at. The fabric flexes too much for them to be waterproof and you will almost certainly be disappointed if you believe any claims for waterproofness (my word). Most will keep off showers but after a day of walking in the hills, in driving rain or mist, water will seep in. As others have said, invest in a roll top dry bag/rucksack liner and your gear will stay dry whatever the weather.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I used a bright orange survival bag as a rucksack liner for over 25 years....never had a problem with leakage going up mountains and fown dales, falling in rivers, thrown in and out of helicopters, and best of all your survival bag is always with you
    [

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    I use a Swedish LK70 purchased from military mart after seeing these reviews.
    http://rucksackmania.blogspot.co.uk/...dish-lk70.html
    http://weekendwoodsman.wordpress.com...k-70-rucksack/