Thread: King Alfred's cake advice please

Hobo

King Alfred's cake advice please

Hey all,

Have acquired a few cramp balls and was wondering how you go about drying them in prep for use with firelighting? One has developed a fine, black coating which I'm assuming are spores.

Should I just air dry them? I have read about wrapping them in newspaper and putting them on a radiator? How long do I need to dry them for?

Thanks in advance

Tramp
    I place mine on some newspaper and let them dry out el naturale, they will secrete spores as they dry out, the first time i dried them I just placed them on the window sill which was painted white V bad mistake they stained it wife not impressed
    There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends.

I do mine in parcels of kitchen roll, cellotaped closed. Don't think you could over dry them. I put them on the radiator.
    I cut them before drying. If they are big enough to withstand a bread knife or smaller ones a hacksaw. The inner concentric rings take sparks the best.
    Maybe try a grater on it, like you would nutneg? and bag it up? Never thought of that before.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  13.7 KB

Have fun and post some pics

Tramp
    Ground up they work well in a fire piston Also I fond that wrapping them up (sealed) causes them to sweat (moisture) content and go soft, they also make a good insect repellant if just left to smoulder :-)
    Last edited by robdjon; 27-04-2014 at 05:25 PM.

Hobo
    How long roughly do I need to dry them for?

Tramp
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
    How long roughly do I need to dry them for?
    I normally dry them until they secrete the spores, if I'm unsure I will cut one in half and check by fluff it up with a blade of a knife and trying it with a spark

Wanderer
    I have been out with a knife/ferro rod and a pack of sausages and had a nice little cook up with crampballs straight off a dying ash tree in the woods out the back of my house.

Pick em off and stick em in your pack! They'll b fine
    6 P's

Proper Planning Prevents Particularly Poor Performance

I put mine in a snap bag with silica moisture bags. Free from work. (Anyone in Plymouth want some. Just pm me)

Quote Originally Posted by Fellows View Post
    I have been out with a knife/ferro rod and a pack of sausages and had a nice little cook up with crampballs straight off a dying ash tree in the woods out the back of my house.

Pick em off and stick em in your pack! They'll b fine
    Although if you forget they're in your pack, you may get a pack full of spores

I've used them straight off the tree too, when they've been in a pretty dry state. I had some in my fire kit for a couple of years, and about half of them crumbled, so now I just have an odd one or two.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

I just put them in the shed for a few weeks, they seem dry fine without wrapping them up. Then just wipe them off when you want to use them.