Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Subject Of Bad Language/Behaviour

That kind of misses the point of the whole thing. Yes our language is strange, and the way we use words is strange, but the context that the words are used in, and the meanings that are implied by them, are a totally different kettle of fish.

I think the author of the headline in that article was clearly missing the point that Mr Fry was trying to make. He was not saying it was "inoffensive" at all.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I can assure you, Rune, that many native english speakers have difficulty in forming a sentence, both verbally and in writing, that doesn't include rude or offensive language.

Martin
    Yes, I am aware of this, but it is sometimes very difficult to know what words will be percived as offensive language in English, when the same words in Norwegian could be used in a conversation with the most holy and conservatives of grannies, without causing any offense.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

What about euphemism and innuendo - are they acceptable?
    Or am I just being a stupid front-bottom?*

*I know it's immature of me, but now I'm giggling like an idiot.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

unless you have hurt yourself ie the old hammer to the thumb theres no reason to swear.... Scientists from Keele University found that letting forth a volley of foul language can have a powerful painkilling effect, especially for people who do not normally use expletives.
    To test the theory, student volunteers placed their hands in a bucket of ice cold water while swearing repeatedly.
    They then repeated the exercise but, instead of swearing, used a harmless phrase instead.
    Researchers found that the students were able to keep their hands submerged in the icy water for longer when repeating the swear word - establishing a link between swearing and an increase in pain tolerance.
    They also found that the pain-numbing effect was four times more likely to work in the volunteers who did not normally use bad language.
    There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar, I love not man the less, but Nature more.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Very very very sorry
    It will not happen again
    Rasputin you know what you are
    A really not nice guy

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernYeti View Post
    unless you have hurt yourself ie the old hammer to the thumb theres no reason to swear.... Scientists from Keele University found that letting forth a volley of foul language can have a powerful painkilling effect, especially for people who do not normally use expletives.
    To test the theory, student volunteers placed their hands in a bucket of ice cold water while swearing repeatedly.
    They then repeated the exercise but, instead of swearing, used a harmless phrase instead.
    Researchers found that the students were able to keep their hands submerged in the icy water for longer when repeating the swear word - establishing a link between swearing and an increase in pain tolerance.
    They also found that the pain-numbing effect was four times more likely to work in the volunteers who did not normally use bad language.
    They tested it on Mythbusters too, it worked for them.
    Also there is a well used 4 letter swear word which is actually an acronym (spell checker is working ) I won't put what it actually stands for on here as it may offend, but it involves procreation and requiring royal consent from a king.

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    What about euphemism and innuendo - are they acceptable?
    Or am I just being a stupid front-bottom?*

*I know it's immature of me, but now I'm giggling like an idiot.
    That's a tough one. I think it depends how it was done, as in what was being referenced, the situation it was used in, and how it could be interpreted.

The best way is to avoid posting anything that could be taken out of context, or viewed as being offensive.

As I said, it's better to be over cautious, so if you are worried that what you say may be taken wrong, then try to find a way that wont be.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

There are Double standards applied to who posts n who Mods.
    One can get a warning for "Its the db's".when two post up there is a reference to "mutts knuts",which goes unchalenged!.
    Also one can get a weeks ban for a remark "taking the ****",Then if one reads many posts there are homophobic remarks n several other comments that have passed by.Rules are rules and should be obeyed and equally,applied!!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

o we really have to do this again ? No swearing, no grawlixes that's what has been asked.

I see the forum a bit like being asked into someones house.....their rules not yours, or the neighbours, or similar.

Mike you have been told time and again its not personal its just been missed.... the mods and ash do this for zero gain and I for one have better things to do with my time than trawl years of posts editing out potentially offensive remark just to satisfy your feelings of injustice.

You served your ban now forget it and move on.
    [

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    The mods often rely on inappropriate comment being reported by users. Midas, I'm not aware that you've ever reported anything and I get an email as soon as anyone does. If you feel unfairly treated please report inappropriate content.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.