Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Subject Of Bad Language/Behaviour

Not been on here for ages but totaly agree with you Martin.

A young child reading a comic in the "good old days", would probably have imagined these words to be much different than a teenager these days, which can be part of the problem.
    Oh Adam your not that naive, I knew exactly what was meant as a youth and kids are even more street now. I still cant see anything wrong with using # as long as its not part of abusive behaviour, but rules are rules and even if I dont agree I will bow down to them. Ive stated my opinion and will now bow out of this debate, Ken. ps 1 last thought thanks to Paul I cant call anyone a worm now as it may be misinterpreted, lol
    Last edited by Rasputin; 25-04-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: ps
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is.
    Martin
    I for one am finding the thread very educational.

Proverbs 9:9 ~ Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser. (N.B. Not everyone who has met me would say I'm wise!)
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is.
    I started this thread for a couple of reasons Martin. One, it's a subject that has been (and probably will continue to be) discussed on the forum, so rather than clutter up other threads with unrelated discussions, I thought it would be better to keep it contained.
    The other reason for the thread, was to provide the forum members with the reasons behind the zero tolerance approach to bad language.
    I was hoping that members can input their comments on the subject, and we can offer explanations, as it can be difficult to understand the reasoning behind our decisions.

As you say Martin "this position hasn't changed and is certainly not up for negotiation". I in no way intend this thread to be seen as a poll, or vote, just offer a little clarity on the subject.

Hope that remains clear to the forum members.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

All I can say is that you english speakers are very strange and sensitive about this. And it can be hard at times moderating myself, as there are words in my language that are perfectly innocent, that when translated to English you would see as a swear word...I have learned. Sometimes that makes it hard for me to form a sentence when I want to describe things.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage View Post
    I started this thread for a couple of reasons Martin. One, it's a subject that has been (and probably will continue to be) discussed on the forum, so rather than clutter up other threads with unrelated discussions, I thought it would be better to keep it contained.
    The other reason for the thread, was to provide the forum members with the reasons behind the zero tolerance approach to bad language.
    I was hoping that members can input their comments on the subject, and we can offer explanations, as it can be difficult to understand the reasoning behind our decisions.

As you say Martin "this position hasn't changed and is certainly not up for negotiation". I in no way intend this thread to be seen as a poll, or vote, just offer a little clarity on the subject.

Hope that remains clear to the forum members.
    agree, Incidentally I have never used grawlix' or swore on the forum (to my knowledge)
    Last edited by Rasputin; 25-04-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Oh Adam your not that naive, I knew exactly what was meant as a youth and kids are even more street now. I still cant see anything wrong with using # as long as its not part of abusive behaviour, but rules are rules and even if I dont agree I will bow down to them. Ive stated my opinion and will now bow out of this debate, Ken
    I used to read comics as a child, and there was a stage when I assumed these symbols stood for either sound, or words like "blast" and the such. Maybe it's because I was brought up by a pretty old fashioned family, and my family never swore, or exposed me to swearing.

I do see your point, but we must understand that there are many lifestyles out there, and to protect all of them, it's better to be over cautious

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    All I can say is that you english speakers are very strange and sensitive about this. And it can be hard at times moderating myself, as there are words in my language that are perfectly innocent, that when translated to English you would see as a swear word...I have learned. Sometimes that makes it hard for me to form a sentence when I want to describe things.
    We're aware it can be especially difficult in circumstances such as your's, and we greatly appreciate how well you self moderate in these instances.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    I can assure you, Rune, that many native english speakers have difficulty in forming a sentence, both verbally and in writing, that doesn't include rude or offensive language.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.