Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Subject Of Bad Language/Behaviour

I could never understand how people could get so heated in online forums that a flame war erupts. Are we so immature that we have to unleash a bombardment of personal attacks just because the other person is "wrong"? There's no need for name calling even in debates...if you cannot keep a civil discussion, you have no business being on the forum in the first place.
    I know some may not have a particularly favourable opinion of the mods here, but as I see it, they have done everything they can to ensure that the rules of this forum are enforced, without taking sides - and for this, I applaud them for keeping NaturalBushcraft a friendly environment.
    Places like a certain well-known US forum have become a 'Wild West' zone, with mods zapping you for simply disagreeing over a trivial matter. Be glad N.B. isn't like that.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

and for this, I applaud them for keeping NaturalBushcraft a friendly environment.
    Here Here, well said that man

Worming great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    There are Double standards applied to who posts n who Mods.
    One can get a warning for "Its the db's".when two post up there is a reference to "mutts knuts",which goes unchalenged!.
    Also one can get a weeks ban for a remark "taking the ****",Then if one reads many posts there are homophobic remarks n several other comments that have passed by.Rules are rules and should be obeyed and equally,applied!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    The mods often rely on inappropriate comment being reported by users. Midas, I'm not aware that you've ever reported anything and I get an email as soon as anyone does. If you feel unfairly treated please report inappropriate content.

Martin
    As Martin says. We heavily rely on members to report anything they see, and do not agree with. There are many posts on the forum, and none of the mods have time to read every single one.

Reports are kept completely confidential, so no one will know if you submit a report regarding the content they share.

I understand how it can feel like it's double standards, but this genuinely isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    I could never understand how people could get so heated in online forums that a flame war erupts. Are we so immature that we have to unleash a bombardment of personal attacks just because the other person is "wrong"? There's no need for name calling even in debates...if you cannot keep a civil discussion, you have no business being on the forum in the first place.
    I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    I know some may not have a particularly favourable opinion of the mods here, but as I see it, they have done everything they can to ensure that the rules of this forum are enforced, without taking sides - and for this, I applaud them for keeping NaturalBushcraft a friendly environment.
    Places like a certain well-known US forum have become a 'Wild West' zone, with mods zapping you for simply disagreeing over a trivial matter. Be glad N.B. isn't like that.
    Thank you for your support. It's not easy to keep things friendly, but we do our best
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Right, I think its about time that we put this to bed. We could argue the proverbial all night and not get any further with this discussion.

If it gets to the stage that members are reporting every single grawlix, naughty word or something that make the vicar blush, give up, find another hobby and forum to stress. I really can't be bothered to read this post any more, its not what its really about, is it.

To the forum members who have never met the moderators before, pop down to Cornwall for a meet sometime. These guys are the salt of the earth and its a pleasure to join them around the fire.

Lets leave the problems, squabbling and bitchiness to the other bushcraft orientated forums on the internet.

....Kind of counts me out then I live in Yorkshire
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    ....Kind of counts me out then I live in Yorkshire
    Not if we, us, or me organise a 'meet' for the middle of next year to celebrate 10,000 members on the NBF.

We should have a look at a place somewhere near the middle of the country and go from there. I'm sure that we could find a place that would allow fires, camping and grawlixes !!.

All this is very childish.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    All this is very childish.
    Would you care to enlighten us further Mike ?
    [

Ok, I think this thread has now run it's course. The reasoning behind the moderators opinion has been explained, and we've highlighted the use of the report feature again.

We're all here to enjoy a common interest, so please keep that in mind, when posting.
    We all have our own opinions on things, which is a great thing, but we all have to respect these varying opinions. Try to stay objective in any discussions, and try to appreciate we all have to be a little flexible at times.

I'd like to extend our thanks, for all the support members have shown for Natural Bushcraft, and the understanding in the matter of conduct and other areas.
    We want everyone to benefit from the forum, and the knowledge shared by it's members, and we'd like to keep the atmosphere as calm, and collected as possible.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Oh my, I disappear for a few hours and miss all the fun!

Just like to add if I may that the view points in many ways prove the problems that we have with regards to language issues. The very fact that a comment or word posted can be seen as acceptable by some yet offensive to others highlights the impossible task of negotiating what should be allowed. That being said, there is no need for that type of language. I, like many others, use such language myself at work and have been known to release a few profanities around the campfire, but never at home in front of my children and certainly not when undertaking my roles with the youth of my home town. I am also thankful of the fact that when shown by example, these very children are highly unlikely to use such language when in our charge.

I for one am reassured to know that if my children decide to sit with me when looking through this site that they are unlikely to find anything not to my liking, and I thank the members on this forum for doing their best to keep it that way. I like to think that us Mods are pretty forgiving in the way in which we deal with this issue in that no hasty bans are imposed, but individuals are reminded of the guidelines. I know that other forums are not so understanding and that permanent bans are a reality.

Thankyou Adam for dealing with this issue, unfortunate timing for me I'm afraid with a 12 hour working day and an Explorer meeting with a group of well behaved teens, and thanks to all you good folks too.