Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Subject Of Bad Language/Behaviour

Exclamation The Subject Of Bad Language/Behaviour

If you would like to discuss ANY aspect of our "bad language", "behaviour", or "conduct" policies, please feel free to voice your opinions here.

This is NOT an area to get mad, slate other members, or behave any differently than the rest of the forum, but we always appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE criticisms.

If this thread cannot be kept civil, and respectful of others, it will be closed and/or removed
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Ive just looked it up and I was wrong they did not come into existance untill 1964 when I was 12 but I stick by original statement that *@# cant be really classed as profane in as much as the person reading it puts to it their own interpretation to the grawlix. Also that as the censors of the UK have allowed it in childrens literature, ie. comics since 1964 means that children of all ages read it daily. Again I apologise for any offence given but I just dont see it myself, but I did agree to the guidelines for members and I will abide by them, Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

for the same reason, I didn't post my handy cut out and keep map to IKEA - too many nasty words
    As the old expression has it "there's a time and a place for everything and this is not the time nor the place"
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

In everyday life I find myself "effing & blinding" without thinking about it if I'm in like minded company, if I'm in polite company (the mother-in-law, the ol dragon) I try my best to talk respectfully.
    On a forum when someone puts a swear word in, they have to think about it, take time to type, re read it then hit post.
    So I guess that if a person leaves a swear word in, they have good reason to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Ive just looked it up and I was wrong they did not come into existance untill 1964 when I was 12 but I stick by original statement that *@# cant be really classed as profane in as much as the person reading it puts to it their own interpretation to the grawlix. Also that as the censors of the UK have allowed it in childrens literature, ie. comics since 1964 means that children of all ages read it daily. Again I apologise for any offence given but I just dont see it myself, but I did agree to the guidelines for members and I will abide by them, Ken
    I totally understand, and you're 100% correct when you say "the person reading it puts to it their own interpretation to the grawlix". It's a way people can get the reader of the text to assume an expletive of their own, in a cheeky kind of way.
    A young child reading a comic in the "good old days", would probably have imagined these words to be much different than a teenager these days, which can be part of the problem.
    I think it's more of an issue when letters are included in the grawlix, that imply which word it means. The trouble is, it's hard to say no to one, but yes to the other, the same as some of the minor "swear" words. It's for this reason, that it's easier to say no to it completely, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul De Fitter View Post
    In everyday life I find myself "effing & blinding" without thinking about it if I'm in like minded company, if I'm in polite company (the mother-in-law, the ol dragon) I try my best to talk respectfully.
    On a forum when someone puts a swear word in, they have to think about it, take time to type, re read it then hit post.
    So I guess that if a person leaves a swear word in, they have good reason to do so.
    Couldn't agree more. I often find myself swearing amongst fellow bushcrafters, around the fire, but around parents, nephews, and the general public, I try my hardest not to.
    As you say, on the forum you have time to think about what you type, and time to edit it, if you've typed fast, or without thinking.

Just had another thought, what if we changed the swear word to a neutral word & used that instead, a bit like this......
    ..I'l worm his worming worm with a stuffed worm & worm the worm out of him with no worming worm, if he comes round here again, the worm.....
    I think you get the gist without actually swearing & every one will be happy.

But that would fall into the "implied" category, the same as the grawlix. The implied instances can be the difficult ones, as it's all down to personal interpretation.
    I'm sure the odd word replacement could be used, as long as it isn't too obvious, but if someone has taken the time to find an alternative word, then they could easy find another way to say their statement.
    I think the best thing to do, is not type when you're too mad. There shouldn't be a need to use invasive language on this forum anyway. If there is, someone's doing something wrong lol.

There is no reason why 'extreme' swear words should ever be displayed on this forum at all. At times I swear like a Trooper, but I wouldn't think of including one as part of a forum discussion. We all know that kids use this forum and it shouldn't be used as a platform to improve their swear word vocabulary.

Kids are certainly not angels, and no doubt they know more at that age than we ever did. Times have changed, the way the younger generation communicate have changed but its still no excuse for bad language.

Grawlixes are fine by me and its my opinion that they should be used and continue to be used on this forum. You can't wrap the kid's up in cotton wool but there is a line that should not be crossed as far as bad language is concerned.

I wouldn't go as far as the death penalty but I would like to see the three strikes and you are out rule for offenders, with no chance of a return.

Its not difficult is it, its not brain surgery. All you are asking is to cut out the bad language, and if people can't follow this simple rule its time to ban them as they will never learn no matter how many warnings they are given.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
    There is no reason why 'extreme' swear words should ever be displayed on this forum at all. At times I swear like a Trooper, but I wouldn't think of including one as part of a forum discussion. We all know that kids use this forum and it shouldn't be used as a platform to improve their swear word vocabulary.

Kids are certainly not angels, and no doubt they know more at that age than we ever did. Times have changed, the way the younger generation communicate have changed but its still no excuse for bad language.

Grawlixes are fine by me and its my opinion that they should be used and continue to be used on this forum. You can't wrap the kid's up in cotton wool but there is a line that should not be crossed as far as bad language is concerned.

I wouldn't go as far as the death penalty but I would like to see the three strikes and you are out rule for offenders, with no chance of a return.

Its not difficult is it, its not brain surgery. All you are asking is to cut out the bad language, and if people can't follow this simple rule its time to ban them as they will never learn no matter how many warnings they are given.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is. It has been agreed by the moderating team (of which Adam is a key member) and Ashley that we will not tolerate swearing or the use of swear words or substitutes for swear words. As far as I'm aware, this position hasn't changed and is certainly not up for negotiation amongst the general population. This rule has served us well since the forum was introduced to compliment the NaturalBushcraft.co.uk website, which I can guarantee contains no swear words.

Might I respectfully suggest that, if you would like to use swearing, profanity or any other such means of communication, you leave the forum and take it elsewhere.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.