Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help to find some photos of a step on snare trap

Alone in the Wilderness

Help to find some photos of a step on snare trap

I finally have found time to have a go at the above trap. I clicked on my shortcut to find the website is no more. The link is 'survival traps #3 - Step on snare trap - Bushcraftliving.com Discussion Forum'.

Does anyone have access to the images from this or maybe a similar trap? It was a tension triggered affair but obviously I am looking for the details.

Set them a fist high,n noose about a fist wide,hold in position with a tealer stick.Set them on runs,never at at rabbit hole!
    remember if you set any snares or traps!they must be checked daily,preferable twice a day.Don'forget to anchor them well.with a peg!
    PS Welcome to the forum,would be a good idea if you went to the Introduce yourself section.n introduce yourself telling us a little about yourself etc.ATB Mike!
    Last edited by midas; 05-08-2014 at 04:19 PM.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Samuel Hearne
    There are many ways of setting a snare and they vary as to what you plan on catching from rats, rabbits to squirrels, there are some good books with diagrams on different traps (trappers bible) I have books with traps in them but it does take some practice to learn them and set them in the right place, if you can get to a meet there might be someone there who will show you how to set a snare, I set snares and fenn traps I also snare squirrels where and when needed, I was lucky that I was taught by a old poacher at a early age how to make and set them.
    As midas has said any trap or snare set must be checked at least once a day and if you can twice is even better.

Snaring is something I always wanted to do. Unfortunately it has become almost impossible i Norway, as it is more or less banned. Only a few municipalities managed to keep snaring for ptarmigan legal, but Harstad is not one of those. So if I want some, I have to shoot them. Snaring all other sorts of game is illegal.

My grandfather on my mothers side was only a boy when WW2 started, and he used to snare for ptarmigan, and sell them to the village school teacher he told me once. To bad he passed before I had become adult enough in my head to ask him to teach me...to busy farting around in other bits of the world... :-(
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 05-08-2014 at 11:08 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Just been on GOOGLE typed in "How to make step in traps and snares" n a whole stack of pictures n pages came up.!!!
    So suggest you go there!!!!

This is one that a friend made when I was helping them.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Looks interesting. I can't see how the trigger works. I assume the twine is attached to a sprung tree?

Quote Originally Posted by greenhout View Post
    Looks interesting. I can't see how the trigger works. I assume the twine is attached to a sprung tree?
    By the look of it the trip stick is under the hook stick driven into ground on right hand side,holding it in tension!.which is
    held in place by stick driven into ground on right hand side.

Spot on Midas

I've tried looking for the style I use but I can't seem to find it in photo or video format. So I've now done it in rubbish drawing format. Lol here you go I hope it's legible