Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another DIY Underquilt thread!

Trapper
    Pics not uploading for some reason, i think i'll try again at some point later.. thinking of the runners down the side to house the shock cord, is ribbon proving to be man enough for the job or would people advise using something a bit stronger? i have a few bits of almost webbing straps which would work? do people prefer it to run the whole length of the quilt or like your Jus, small tabs at intervals along the quilt?
    failing to prepare = preparing to fail

Pray not for a lighter load, but for a stronger back.

If it runs the entire length then you will get a better seal between the UQ and hammock to keep the heat in. The tabs on mine were placed so that I could add some cord onto the ridge line for extra support. I used 4mm shock cord that seems to be too weak for the weight of the UQ and use the extra support every time. Next job is to get some 5mm and try that out.

The ribbon I used has proven to be an excellent choice so far, and it was cheaper and lighter than going for webbing which did cross my mind once or twice.

Trapper
    Thats pretty much what i thought about the seal.. what kind of ribbon did you use? Ribbon that you'd wrap a present with just doesnt seem like it will be strong enough! Forgive the questions but i'd want to get it right 1st time!

If its any good to you mate I have a reel of 1.5 inch thick green ribbon if you want it. This might be a bit fiddly when it comes to sewing it up but I also have about four metres of 3 inch brown ribbon if its any better.

Trapper
    TBH mate i think we have some ribbon from when we got married, does it need to be specific stuff ie stronger or will jut normal ribbon do the trick?

I just used the shiny silk looking material stuff from a local needlecraft shop.

Same here, mine was 2 inch wide shiney stuff from the local sewing shop. Wider might have been a little easier to sew but it worked just fine.

Trapper
    awesome thank you! i shall look for some 2 1/2" or 3 " wide ribbon!

Trapper
    It's almost finished! Started with a big square like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	12091

Sewn two full length runners down the sides, apparently there's a lack of sewing shops nearby so for this I ended up using the webbing tape I had. My thoughts on this are that this UQ will never be a lightweight option so the weight of the webbing will make minimal difference to the over all weight.

For the bottom or foot end I used some of the actual sleeping bag fabric instead of ribbon, I also put a large dart in the foot end so it now naturally cups around me.

Unfortunately I have no shock cord, being stingey I have some bungy cord from work, a bit of overkill but I can replace eventually.

All that's left to do is the cinch cord for the foot end and adjust the bungy for the correct size and tension of my hammock!

More pics to follow, hopefully one of it used in anger!
    Last edited by Ferrell freddy; 08-05-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Trapper
    Ok so it's kind of finished, seems a little short and a bit too wide however, I've seen half and 3/4 quilts so the length is not an issue. Here it is hanging without a hammock:

Views:	105 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	12094

Here it is laid out:

Views:	115 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	12095

The fabric instead of ribbon for the foot end cinch:

Views:	110 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	12096