Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best starter hammock/tarp setup??

Ended up with TW and DD.... I have a DD Frontline which does the job all year round, and a TW basic hammock which is very light. Currently have 4 tarps to choose from

Survival Aids superlight, Issue Basha (heavy but robust) TW Cornelius 3 x 3 great bit of kit, and finally a 3 x 4.5 DD for longer stays

Anyway........my Yorkshire blood refuses to let me part with so much money for anything else
    Last edited by Silverback; 20-08-2014 at 05:03 PM.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Mujician View Post
    Have you guys heard of Hennessy Hammocks? On the face of it they seem quite expensive but I also looked at TW and DD and in my opinion Hennessy Hammocks came out on top. You don't have to buy any extras (although you can!) and they are very well made. I went for an explorer hammock, although i would like a safari for me and my wife!!!
    Checkout and do bit of reading on the Warbonnet Blackbird
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

I have just got a DD Frontline and find I suits my requirement, paired it up with a 3x3 Tarp. Its my first hammock and chose it for the price as well as people I know that have one and have used it extensively recommending it to me. I'd say it would be a good starter hammock, not to expensive and well made.

ATB

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    I have a DD hammock but just bought myself a Tenth wonder XL (longer and wider) at a really good price
    http://www.twhammocks.co.uk/Hammocks...een-XL-Hammock

Those TW ones are well worth the money. I have the 1.8 metre wide one for the garden and am very impressed with it.

I prefer my TW XL to my TW Green Hornet ( it's good but fussy to setup and use and nearly 3 times the price)
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

I went with a DD Frontline 2012 and 3x3 coyote tarp, though I'm thinking of downsizing to an ENO Doublenest hammock, as it apparently packs down half the size of the DD, and costs about $25 less. Won't let go of the 3x3 tarp, though - that baby is amazing for stealth camping, blends in perfectly in the woodlands.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Might have to check out the ENO... DD is pretty darn good but does have a weight and size which could be reduced after several overnighters...

Quote Originally Posted by janso View Post
    Might have to check out the ENO... DD is pretty darn good but does have a weight and size which could be reduced after several overnighters...
    You could always check out DDs new superlight range

DD superlight range is a great option for a few more $...
    The ENO Doublenest is about $70/43£, weighs 19 oz/540 grams, and can be made to cocoon yourself with the extra width material, improvising a sort of bug-screen. The DD superlight hammock doesn't come with a mozzie net, but you can pair it with the superlight net for 30£ more. As a stand-alone, it isn't wide enough to fully cocoon yourself like the ENO doublenest can.
    It's all a trade-off I guess.
    Snugpak Jungle hammock is another to consider, and I think you can pick one up for under $50/31£. Comes with a mozzie net and is around the same weight as the ENO Doublenest.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin