Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best starter hammock/tarp setup??

Best starter hammock/tarp setup??

Hiya,

I'm thinking of getting a hammock/tarp set up but not sure what to go for! Prob DD or TW, any advice!?

Either of them are probably equally good. TW has some wider models that are perhaps a tad more comfy if at all possible. But they weigh more. But they also offer the regular sized that are the same in weight as a DD I guess.

I am happy with a TW. Others will tell you they are happy with a DD. So difficult to say which one is best.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Cheers mate! It seems down to personal preference, I will probably go with a tw as I'm quite a big lad! Just wondering what the most popular model is? I'd rather buy the correct one first than end up buying twice!

Hopefully getting a DD before the next Overnighter mate; you're welcome to check it over? If you get one for the Overnighter we can try em out and collapse onto the deck from bad hanging together!!

From what I've been told, which ever one you go for, you'll quickly upgrade if you get into it! Fish told me to look up UK Hammocks? He spoke fondly of their service and product; send him a pm mate

Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Cheers mate! It seems down to personal preference, I will probably go with a tw as I'm quite a big lad! Just wondering what the most popular model is? I'd rather buy the correct one first than end up buying twice!
    Then I recomend the XL sized TW hammocks. I stand 5,9 foot at 17 stone, and I am swiming in flat laying space in mine :-)
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Been looking at the TW hornet, the one with the built in fly sheet. Looks good for the money!

I have two bog standard TW XL's and they are fantastic starter hammocks (modded with home made whoopie slings), I have used them for years and been exceptionally happy (mainly winter camping).
    I've fairly recently purchased a Green hornet 3 metre in the extra wide, also a great hammock, but much more fussing to set up and use - having said that the bug net is a god send if the biters are about,

I use a British DPM - 3 x 3m - Elite Evolution Basha from UKMCPRO and love it, (started out with an army basha but just too small for the XL hammocks even in the diamond config)

Do you know any one locally that would lend you a set up to trial before you go out and buy one, hammocking may not be for you.... Good Luck

Let us know how you get on
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Forgot to mention my tarp setup. It's a DD XL tarp 4,5x3 meters. Huge, but the extra acreage is worth it. The end corners can be pulled down to act as doors, and there is still plenty of room.

Here is a vid I made from my blizzard trip:

(Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Then I would highly recommend skipping DD, TW etc and go straight for Warbonnet Blackbird Hammock and the Superfly Tarp. They're by far the most coveted combination, best quality and most comfortable.

Join/read hammockforums.net or read one of the many reviews on them. They're both awesome for many reason and will save you time and money in long run.