Thread: nettle cordage with bowdrill

nettle cordage with bowdrill

a friend of mine said i should share this video on the forum as some of you may find it interesting....so here it is.
    its my first attempt at using some nettle cordage i had made in a bowdrill which was a challenge i had set myself.

http://slightlywildish.tk/bowdrill-u...ettle-cordage/

Appears to hold up really well.

Well done that man.

Right from the start I was muttering "don't snap, don't snap "!!", as you increased the speed of the bow. Well done, that's a life saving skill you made look easy. Another tip I picked up from you was how to tension the bow by sticking you finger on it. I didn't know that, cheers.

i managed to get 4 coals from it before it snapped so was really pleased.

lol i was thinking the same when i was doing it chubbs
    thats a handy tip if you've been using it for a while as the cordage begins to stretch even with paracord and it saves having to re-tie it each time to keep the tension.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Excellent, well done

As I sat here watching the video my other half said "Why are you watching another one of those fire videos?"
    My answer that you were using nettle cordage raised an eyebrow so I started to explain that nettle cordage is often thought of as being too weak for the bow drill when she asked "How do you make string from nettles" ....
    So I found your other videos. So much easier than trying to explain and very well done.

Two from me for the vids they are superb and a last word from herself.....Quote " That's brilliant, you find bl**dy nettles everywhere!"

Rob.

thank you valentine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    As I sat here watching the video my other half said "Why are you watching another one of those fire videos?"
    My answer that you were using nettle cordage raised an eyebrow so I started to explain that nettle cordage is often thought of as being too weak for the bow drill when she asked "How do you make string from nettles" ....
    So I found your other videos. So much easier than trying to explain and very well done.

Two from me for the vids they are superb and a last word from herself.....Quote " That's brilliant, you find bl**dy nettles everywhere!"

Rob.
    thank you so much Fraxinus, your message has me grinning like a cheshire cat

maybe it may the first steps in getting 'herself' involved, starts with a bit of string then who knows...basket weaving next? (something on my list to teach myself)
    Last edited by wildish64; 13-04-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Ruddy office firewall won't let me access YouTube.

Well done. I've tried a few times with lime cordage, but never with success. I'll try this. Thanks for posting.
    He who says "he can" and he who says "he can't", are both usually right.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Well done that man. First time I have seen anyone try using nettle cordage.