Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My IRON-ART Rocket stove.

They work fine,whistle.If they are only for cooking having an insulated one is best because it conserves heat n fuel!But for everyday camp cooking,n feeling some radiatored heat from it,whilst your sat around it.
    They are pretty good on fuel which is important in some areas were there are no trees.I have used them with cat lit,(usually save toiletroll/kitchen roll tubes n fill with pellets.)
    Ive even on a cold night emptied out the ashes.wrapped it in a blanket.n used it as a Hottie.lol.
    There is one that can be made from a plastic bucket,n two coke bottles.You mix up cement or clay sand n some filler,form an L shape with bottles/pipe,ineffect cast it.pulling out the bottles tube.when mix goes off,the allow to dry out before use.
    Last edited by midas; 09-04-2014 at 08:43 PM.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Thanks Midas ... I have been considering making a small rocket using stainless flasks

and using the vacuum space of the twin wall design to carry some vermiculite as insulation ...

I was wondering if a smaller scale rocket , ie an easily portable one , would still work as well ???

I have made working gassifier stoves using twin wall stainless expresso cups ... they work ...

but they're not as good as stoves made with slightly larger camp mugs about 350 ml capacity ...

Wonder if there is a similar scale of efficiency / size with the rocket design ...

Very nice use of cardboard tubes to burn wood pellets by the way ... Simple but brilliant !!!

I always use the pellets with my gassifiers ... "real" wood being scanty to rare or unusable

on the beaches and clifftop paths I like to frequent ...

Cheers Whistle
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

Yes whistle,first i built was tin cans,bean can,n asparagus tincan cos it was long for the flue,built into a one gallon paint tin,then filled,with the clay type cat lit,n lid can be refitted.They work very well,if you want a fierce flame you turn them into wind,etc.dont have to worry about Wind blowing them out.Flasks seem a very good source of your Flue n fire chamber.They were originally invented for under developed countries,by an american uni,proffessor ,setting his student a project.(cant remember the names,its quite a while since I did research.)Normally one feeds foot long sticks into the stove,on the flat platform,once youve got the fire ignited in the fire box.though you can also feed axe chips,small bits of wood into top too.like you on your coastal area,I use mine,Along with a couple of back ups,Gas ,n wood gas,in the hill/mountains /streams n burns of Scotland,when prospecting.n as Ive mentioned earlier I use it as a camp fire.on n evening,thats when I thought up feeding the tubes full of pellets in, etc.
    P.S.Theres an interesting site of a blacksmith that makes the DK rocket stove.measurement, how to use videos,etc www.rocketstoves.co.ukThis site also leads to their Facebook page which has lots of video clips of cooking on their rocket stove etc!
    Last edited by midas; 10-04-2014 at 10:39 PM. Reason: PS.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown