Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type I, II and III fun... what's your poison?

Type I, II and III fun... what's your poison?

So we have 3 types of fun...

Type I fun: Enjoyable while doing. (Just as examples - You can think up your own. Think 5.8 hand crack and super mellow enjoyable climbing, sunny class II-III kayaking, gentle summer hammock session)

Type II fun: Enjoyable only afterwards. (Those long alpine days where you move for 16 hours usually turn into type II fun by the end of it. Ice climbing up a waterfall that is actively running is another type II fun activity. Tarp camping in pouring rain...)

Type III fun: Never thought back on as enjoyable. (Think bivying on a ledge with just your t-shirt in 30 degrees with 70 mph winds. That sort of fun. )

Question:

So Natural Bushcrafters... - I ask of you...What are your top Type II (or Type III if you want to share) types of adventures. Extra points for those of you who supply video/photos of said adventure.
    Last edited by susannewilliams; 08-04-2014 at 10:41 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just say NO to unnecessary suffering - https://www.youtube.com/user/susannewilliams

Sorry,Sue,none of those for me !.
    My idea's of fun,arnt for a family site.lol.even though I'm 73 going on 50.lol.
    "To the woods."I'll Tell the Vicar""I am the Vicar"lol
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    Sorry,Sue,none of those for me !.
    My idea's of fun,arnt for a family site.lol.even though I'm 73 going on 50.lol.
    "To the woods."I'll Tell the Vicar""I am the Vicar"lol
    Bet you've had your share of Type II fun. "Only enjoyable afterwards...."

Tell us your stories.... :-)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just say NO to unnecessary suffering - https://www.youtube.com/user/susannewilliams

Here's a type IIer from last winter. Backcountry nordic ski bushcraft overnighter.

I did NOT expect the 1200m top out. Made my bed in a bush.

Aieeeee.

Actually I am bored out of my mind when I am outdoors...and I absolutely hate walking, skiing or any activity that makes me breath more are than slightly heavy, which is just about anything more strenious than getting out of my chair to get another coke from the fridge.

But I love food cooked on a fire. I love to make a fire, I love to sit by the fire and just stare into it....at least the first 5 minutes or so, or until smoke gets into my eyes and it gets boring. I also love to fish, and I love a good nights sleep, and I never sleep as good as I do in a hammock. I also need time alone to get my head straightened out. And out in the dirt is the best place to do it. So type I fun for me :-)

Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

May I have all three please?

I like to enjoy what I'm doing. I really like to have a nice memory of it, and the things I hated doing and wish I never had are the things that make me enjoy the other times, when things aren't as bad.

So mostly I and II, and a few III to make me realise how good I and II are.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Actually I am bored out of my mind when I am outdoors...and I absolutely hate walking, skiing or any activity that makes me breath more are than slightly heavy, which is just about anything more strenious than getting out of my chair to get another coke from the fridge.

But I love food cooked on a fire. I love to make a fire, I love to sit by the fire and just stare into it....at least the first 5 minutes or so, or until smoke gets into my eyes and it gets boring. I also love to fish, and I love a good nights sleep, and I never sleep as good as I do in a hammock. I also need time alone to get my head straightened out. And out in the dirt is the best place to do it. So type I fun for me :-)
    Ooh nice vid.

Yeah I need the dirt time for my head.

Hammock. Nothing better. The only time I really go to ground is if I have someone with me who wants to share the Jerven Bag...

Fire.

I like food cooked outdoors. Reindeer. Ashcakes.

I love to Fish. (Char, trout all things scaly and tasty...) Yum.

I am working on a way to make a fire in my parachute shelter that doesn't smoke me out. I think I may have found a way involving a small beer keg...

Hobo
    I was told it was about making the stories that you would tell your grandchildren. These stories normally start in the pub with "there I was..." And normally involve a bloke with a silly nickname.
    Ones good for the sole, twos good for the story, three makes you question a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
    I was told it was about making the stories that you would tell your grandchildren. These stories normally start in the pub with "there I was..." And normally involve a bloke with a silly nickname.
    Ones good for the sole, twos good for the story, three makes you question a lot of things.
    Absolutely...

Can you tell us a few....? I'd be buying...

:-)

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    I could earn some of your extra points for photos taken of a little number III which almost did for the 'ol boy, but it's out because it's not bushcraft...