Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bushcraft course, any recommendations?

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar

Bushcraft course, any recommendations?

I've came to a point in my learning, where I would like to seek professional training. Until now I've gleaned information anywhere I could and everything else I've had to teach myself. It's been something I've been mulling over for a long time now, and I think I've got my heart set on it now. What I've found now though is that there are so many schools offering courses, I don't know who to put my trust and invest hard earned cash with. If possible could anybody recommend me a reputable course to go on?
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Much of a muchness I think... I've had dealings with Survival School before - cracking attitude and learning environment. Same to be said about Paul Kirtley at Frontier Bushcraft.
    Ultimately depends on how far you want to travel!

Distance not an issue tbh, woodsmoke is the closest to me though
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

As previously mentioned.Paul Kirtly,Frontier Bushcraft.Been voted Bushcraft n survival Skills Mag top man two years running.
    He spent ten years training with Ray Mears,who thinks very highly of him.He's pretty down to earth n will reply to your questions n take on board your suggestion.Give his site a look.has a lot of very interesting "how to"short video's too on his site.Think Ray n Bear be too busy filming or on their Jollies.?
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Wasn't Paul Kirtley one of only 2 people ever to pass Ray's instructor test. I've seen his site before and I'm impressed.
    Border Bushcrafters

Watching this with interest, I've had the same dilemma but have recently made a very good contact with Richard at Original Outdoors down the road from me in Ruthin. About to book on a foraging 1day wander in May.
    Winter is coming

I'm hoping to do a 6 day immersion course. It is right though you can only get so far on your own and then you need one in the know to show you the rest.
    Border Bushcrafters

Totally agree and that's my very same plan. Gonna be at least 600 quid tho...
    Winter is coming

Aye plus the travel costs eek.
    Border Bushcrafters

Quote Originally Posted by Midge_Fodder View Post
    Wasn't Paul Kirtley one of only 2 people ever to pass Ray's instructor test. I've seen his site before and I'm impressed.
    YES!.n got the "Coverted special Bushcraft knife"
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown