Thread: What to use as a smoker burner?

What to use as a smoker burner?

I am making up a smoker and have everything but something to burn the chippings I am thinking of a couple of tea light candles under a metal dish containing my chippings they should burn for a couple of hours or would one candle be enough?

Any other ideas greatly received the longer and slower the burn the better I guess.

Dave

Hi Dave.

I'm half way through making mine out of a two drawer metal filing cabinet. I will be using a gas ring with mine but I suppose it depends on what type of smoking you are doing. I'm going for hot smoking so I can do things like ribs and shoulder of pork.

What are you looking to do.

Cheers Neil

For hot smoking ,I use a large biscuit tin.the whisky barrel chippings sprinkled on the bottom.and wire mesh to keep meat ,sausages off the bottom,Ive used it on my gas stove,get it smoking then lower or use ethonal gel pot to keep things smoking.Lid doesnt want to be too tight,the smoke needs to flow.sometime add a small tin lid of water to bottom of smoke box.Especially if I have not had time to soak my wood chippings.
    If you want to cold smoke ,the meat wants to be in one box n the "fire"in another,join them with a pipe which allows the smoke to cool n does not cook the meat !only smoke n preserve it.
    There are books on the subject.the one ive got is HOME SMOKING n Curing By Keith Erlandson,published in 1977 n 2003
    ISBN.978 0 09 192760 8.Edbury Press,www.rbooks.co.uk Price on book £10,but I bought it in the sale at Borders for £3.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

I am looking to hot smoke mackerel mainly as they are so easy to catch and my favorite fish. i tried a.small gas burner but it still seems to hot which is why i thought a couple of tea candles would do the job.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bbdave View Post
    I am looking to hot smoke mackerel mainly as they are so easy to catch and my favorite fish. i tried a.small gas burner but it still seems to hot which is why i thought a couple of tea candles would do the job.

Dave
    Well you need it hot!especially to get it smoking.You are roasting it after all.when hot smoking.Did you burn or dry them out????you might find putting in a tray of water.will even things out .my gas stove turns down very low but it does need to be in a sheltered place.The ethonal gel I regulate the heat by raising tin on bricks.
    PS I think the ABU Smokers run on spirit burners.but they are only a little bigger than a couple of mess tins.!
    Last edited by midas; 29-03-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Ps.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Check this site out, its one of the best.

Its from over the pond, and nobody smokes food better than the Americans.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/

From what I understand fish needs to be smoked around 30 degrees to start then slowly raising the temperature to 80 degrees for the last half hour or so.

Dave

I'm going to watch this thread with interest as have been tempted with having a go, can't bring anything to the party, just here to learn on this occasion.
    Photo's are always good all those who have already dabbled