Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tinder

tinder

i've allways used birch bark to start a fire,i find it ignites better than anything when using a conventional method ie matches or lighter and readily takes a spark from the steel but i've had my eye on some bracket/horse shoe fungi and fancied giving it a go,i've cut one today and wondered if anyone had any tips and advice on using/procesing it.
    i believe you use the thin layer that resembles suede?
    i had a pic of the cut piece showing the layers but my photobucket app is in backward mode at the mo,here's a pic of them on the beech tree

i found an old puffball in the woods that looked great tinder,had a texture of felt but wouldent take a spark at all even though it was bone dry

got a bag full of birch bark though which will keep me going a while...atb kev

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    You've hit on something similar to what I was thinking. Firstly did you try to ignite the puff ball by any other means, match/lighter etc..? I'd be dubious about bagging the puff ball for tinder then storing incase of the spores they produce (depends conditions where your storing). Anyway storing such likes bracket/horse shoe fungi has anyone stored such for any length of time? I have used such but never kept enough or stored for any length of time. Any feedback appreciated. Excellent photo's BTW.
    Regards
    David

Its the top bit just under the crusty outer layer you want, I shave the top off and dry it off if you get wiggling it to keep it flexi , in the past I've pumled it with a hammer to make it thinner and wider but this reduces the spark catching capabilities.
    im sure plenty of 2 penneths on their way.

Hi Headshot,I found an article on www.sharkdesigns.co.uk/index.html its Shark tinderbox site.but they have a section ARTICLES n TIPS,which covers making Amaduo,n also many other bushcraft related things.if I remember ?rightly it involves much boiling for the best results.Mark Holden owner sent me a sample of Amaduo,as n additional treat with a Steel I purchaced from them,n I was most impressed how it catches a spark,but doesnot crumble like char cloth.etc.Interesting site.n nice people to do bussiness with.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

thanks for the replys...i did try and light the puffball,it just went black and would not ignite,i also dident fancy storing it due to the spores that were coming of in clouds.
    i was thinking basicly what shack says about the bracket fungus though i wonder if it would be as quick to ignite as the amadou,seems an awfull amount of work to produce it...atb kev

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    you can just dry the amadou and then use a lighter, match or ferro rod to ignite it, but if you want it to take a spark from a flint and steel you're better preparing it with a lye solution or potassium nitrate.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I forgot about Shark Designs & http://www.beaverbushcraft.co.uk/ Aye they sent me a sample of tinder before & a packet of Love Hearts (sweets) really great people to speak to & deal with. I did ask & mention about taking sweets off strangers, said they sent them as they were there.. lol
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    Hi Headshot,I found an article on www.sharkdesigns.co.uk/index.html its Shark tinderbox site.but they have a section ARTICLES n TIPS,which covers making Amaduo,n also many other bushcraft related things.if I remember? rightly it involves much boiling for the best results.Mark Holden owner sent me a sample of Amaduo,as n additional treat with a Steel I purchaced from them,n I was most impressed how it catches a spark,but doesnot crumble like char cloth.etc.Interesting site.n nice people to do bussiness with.

http://www.primitiveways.com/Amadou%20substitutes.html
    to be honest youtube and the like has a fair bit of stuff, the bracket fungus I prefer when sliced thin enough and dry does take a spark pretty easily and if I can avoid too much prep all the better, I was given a nice flint and steel set the other year and the fancy and prepped amadou that came with it takes as easily as char and super tough (asalready mentioned so a plus 1 from me) but ouch you pay for it, and I enjoy stuff for free I was surprised how much brackets can vary from species to species so get a good source and just take what you need as and when.
    I love king alfred cakes/cramp balls and have a plentiful supply but when drying those you have a few powedery spore type moments, but then they appear to store well, I can imagine the puffballs getting uber messy, but learning is half the fun.

yep just look at the puffball and there was clouds of spores,not such an easy job taking the top layer of the bracket as it has the same consistency as coconut shell,i have chipped a bit of and have some tinder drying,even after a day its holding a spark and it was wet yesterday so i will have a play about and just see what works best,thanks to everyone for the links ...atb kev

Here you go headshot, heres a video I made ages ago about how to use horse hoof fungi as tinder How to use Horses hoof fungus as tinder: https://youtu.be/8mjXcM57FnY hope it helps?