Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Hiking Kit On A Budget?

Tramp

Lightweight Hiking Kit On A Budget?

Hi Guys, I could do with a little assistance. I have some great kit to cover nearly all eventualities as far as bushcraft is concerned, but most of it is military surplus and it does add up to a fair amount of weight. (In other words its bloody heavy). Which has not been much of a problem as the places I go bushcrafting are only a 15-20 minute walk. But I would like to do some longer hikes of two to three days at a time, so my kit is far to heavy.
    Can any of you guys advise me on what lightweight kit I would be able to purchase on a very limited budget.

Also at 54 I'm not as fit as many of you and at 5foot 5inches short I'm not the tallest either. The main problem with being short is your bum rubs out your footprints in the snow
    Sorry about that guys thought I would take the micky before someone else did
    All suggestions welcome.
    Thanks Guys
    Simon

Hi Simon. I recall from the dim and (not so) distant past that there is a thread about lightweight bushcraft somewhere on NBC (I remember watching a you tube post about a chap in the US who got his kit weight right down). If you search youtube you'll get plenty of hits on the subject.

Good luck.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Crikey - I found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX-erGPyejU

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Hi Simon. I recall from the dim and (not so) distant past that there is a thread about lightweight bushcraft somewhere on NBC (I remember watching a you tube post about a chap in the US who got his kit weight right down). If you search youtube you'll get plenty of hits on the subject.

Good luck.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Tramp
    Thanks Ehecatl, really interesting vid definately gave some food for thought.
    I could also do with info on kit available in UK at budget prices and possibly where to buy them.
    Thanks again Buddy
    Atb Simon

Cor, good vid
    Did you look at his "dinky stuff" vids, some great ideas there.

My lightweight kit consists of:

Berghaus Munro rucksack
    4 season foam Multimat or Self inflating mat
    Alpkit Rig 7 Tarp with cordage and tent pegs
    Alpkit Hunka Bivy
    Sleeping bag depending on weather
    MSR Titan Kettle
    500ml clip lock tub with cosy
    2ltr Platypus water bottle
    Evernew burner and trivet
    Alpkit Spork
    Basic first aid kit
    Petzl Zipka headlight
    Lighter and/or firesteel and Meths

Main thing is to leave unnecessary things at home. I could ditch a little more weight and plan to in time but this kit weighs little and is a good setup for me
    My Blog - The Outdoorist - http://theoutdoorist.blogspot.co.uk/

my advice would be to break it down into sections: sleeping, cooking, clothing etc.

If you start with cooking, what are you currently using? Once we know that we can start shedding weight!

Tramp
    Hi Tent peg
    as far as my cook kit goes its ok, its a small light weight home made kit so no probs there.

SLEEP KIT:

Czech Army Bedroll
    or
    British Arctic sleeping bag
    or
    British 58 pattern sleeping bag

All of these are really good but ridiculously big and heavy.

SHELTER:

3x3 Tenth Wonder Tarp and Hammock

Dutch Army Hooped Bivi

Polish Army Lavvu

Ranging from Mmm! pass-able to nearly back breaking

Clothing again is not to bad as I will only be hiking in the summer and what I have got isn't really that heavy. It's mainly the sleeping and shelter that seems to be really bulky and heavy, but all the small and light weight sleep and shelter kit seems to be ridiculously expensive and I need to work on a really tight budget as I can't work because I have to look after my disabled wife (not a lot of money coming in)
    Hope this all makes sense and I look forward to your helpfull sugestions. Thank you Simon

ok sleeping on a budget, for hiking low level... I would look at the Gelert solo tent, and combine that with the Gellert xtreme lite sleeping bag. should be just over 2.5kg for both, pack down to nothing and cost less than £50 if you shop round.

Tramp
    Thanks Tent peg, I'll have a look round I appreciate your help. Do you think ebay would be the best place as far as prices go?