Thread: Ben Orford hybrid handle crook knife, with pictures.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar

Ben Orford hybrid handle crook knife, with pictures.

For those who read my last review on the Boar, you will know I have to use a tool a fair bit before I'll review. This is due to the fact I like to be honest in the long term. If your going to spend your hard earned pocket money on something, I'd like to think your not wasting it.

I have to say I'm not a stranger to Ben Orford's tools, I have bought a fair few now and I'm a very happy chappie with the service. What hits you straight away is the quality, you get a lot more than the reasonable price you pay.

So onto the review now. I've used the crook knife for a while now and it's been exceptional. I even carved out sizeable kuksa cups with it, and yes it's the small one. More to the point I didn't even need to pad my hand as the handle is really comfy. It's likely not to everyone's taste as it is mocotaugan style in shape. I found it helped me out as the different grips when carving came into their own.

Now the blade itself is unique in that it is sharpened to the handle, this is to facilitate the mini mocotaugan aspect of this tool. The blade is made in 01 which is heat treated well and takes a wicked edge, so I found as I clipped my thumb and carved off a lovely curl of skin. Being small though many people will think it's going to struggle at bigger jobs, to be honest it didn't, I just have way less sanding and burnishing to do as it's a far cleaner cut.

In all fairness the blade wrap does what it says, I won't bore you to death talking about it.

So now for the pics.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	11955

Views:	230 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	11956

Views:	188 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	11957

Views:	204 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	11958
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Love Bens knives. I have the 3" mocotaugan and it's a prized possession now. Haven't had a great deal of opportunity to be able to make a review, though I have some very large projects looming ahead.
    Lovely knife mate. :-) enjoy
    Winter is coming

gotta aggree,i have the small crook knife and it does everything i make even the bowls,just takes a bit longer.
    i found the leather wrap dident last to long before it got shredded but the knife fits in the plastic holder that the silky pocket boy came in,i keep my sharpening dowl in with it aswell...atb kev

My blade wrap is grubby but holding up. I'm also in possession of the mocotaugan, lovely tool too. Ben's tools are becoming a bit of an addiction of mine lately.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

Ha, it's easy to see why tho, I didn't appreciate how good it was till I had one
    Winter is coming

Using a tool made and designed by a guy who actually uses them makes a huge difference.
    Border Bushcrafters