Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Totally new fire product!!!

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    I got a tin of live fire, never used it, it came free. I really wouldn't bother using the ready made tinders as they teach you nothing. If you make your own or gather it you at least learn something, like what to look for. This product is like ready made ranger bands, too many people kick themselves when they realise you can make them for free.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Midge_Fodder View Post
    I got a tin of live fire, never used it, it came free. I really wouldn't bother using the ready made tinders as they teach you nothing. If you make your own or gather it you at least learn something, like what to look for. This product is like ready made ranger bands, too many people kick themselves when they realise you can make them for free.
    True words, Midge. All my tinders are gathered by myself...haven't bothered with the synthetic stuff.
    Yeah, and like the ready-made paracord bracelets - $6 to $10 each at the local outdoor supply stores...and yet you can buy 100 ft of paracord for $6 and make your own with plenty to spare .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

OK most people don't seem to like the idea here. No problem they made their kickstarter total within 24 hours so no biggy. I will try it out and see what it's is like when I get some and report back

Yes there are some issues which they are looking into like the strength of the cord and stuff and even the name.

I like the idea cause of it's multi use application and idea and yes you could use tradition fire rope (cotton rope impregnated with saltpetre) but that is not waterproof and tend to be of a large size and heavy when carrying a lot of it or even waxed jute but that is not very easy to tie knots with and stiff and heavy to for it's size. They are putting ideas out there for how to use it and I have thought of a few for myself and how I am likely to use it. I am in the military and teach some SERE stuff to the lads. I mainly use natural stuff when I can but for use to be able to carry cordage and a fire starter in one item makes it a ok product to me on the face of it. I will try it and see.

Natural tinders are great I use them a lot, I also use what I can to start a fire in any condition and any location. I have visited hot sandy places and hot rocky and even snowy and icy places too and sometimes natural tinders can not be found easily this fills a gap in those instances and also has a form of cordage, it you use the product inside then you still have the outer which can use used. I do see the market of this product more to the military/survival side rather than a bushcraft but I thought people might like to see what could be coming out.
    Last edited by TinkyPete; 27-03-2014 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkyPete View Post
    OK most people don't seem to like the idea here. No problem they made their kickstarter total within 24 hours so no biggy. I will try it out and see what it's is like when I get some and report back

Yes there are some issues which they are looking into like the strength of the cord and stuff and even the name.

I like the idea cause of it's multi use application and idea and yes you could use tradition fire rope (cotton rope impregnated with saltpetre) but that is not waterproof and tend to be of a large size and heavy when carrying a lot of it or even waxed jute but that is not very easy to tie knots with and stiff and heavy to for it's size. They are putting ideas out there for how to use it and I have thought of a few for myself and how I am likely to use it. I am in the military and teach some SERE stuff to the lads. I mainly use natural stuff when I can but for use to be able to carry cordage and a fire starter in one item makes it a ok product to me on the face of it. I will try it and see.

Natural tinders are great I use them a lot, I also use what I can to start a fire in any condition and any location. I have visited hot sandy places and hot rocky and even snowy and icy places too and sometimes natural tinders can not be found easily this fills a gap in those instances and also has a form of cordage, it you use the product inside then you still have the outer which can use used. I do see the market of this product more to the military/survival side rather than a bushcraft but I thought people might like to see what could be coming out.
    I see the multi-use side of the product, and having served in the military, and attended survival courses, I too am a believer in having something that can guarantee a fire, in the quickest, most efficient way.
    I wouldn't buy this product myself though. Being a "bushcrafter" makes me lean more toward natural, or homemade tinders. Like you say, natural tinders aren't always available, and homemade solutions aren't always ideal, but I don't mind carrying a few extra grams of weight, and using standard paracord, along with something like waxed jute.
    I'm sure there are lots of buyers out there for this product though
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

As Adam says as a go to guaranteed method in times of crisis its not a bad idea
    [

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    I wouldn't say I hate the product, I just don't think I'd carry another piece of kit I don't use. If it all goes belly up I usually have something that will work anyway, be it a lighter and a ranger band ect.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

This is the quick version I knocked up the other night. Just a short length of glow in the dark paracord sheathing, with a double core of waxed jute.
    A simple zipper pull, as suggested in the video. The length of the sheathing is pretty short (9 inches), so not a huge amount of use, but there is 18 inches of waxed jute inside, which is enough to make a few fires (in wet conditions, more in dry). It is heavier than standard paracord by several times, but such a small amount of it, that it's not going to be a problem for me.

Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Sounds and looks like a real fire hazard to me - 6 bushcrafters sitting round a campfire and then there were 5 - guess who had 55 firecord on their zippers

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Id rather carry a length of regular paracord and a length of wick or cotton wool/Vaseline and sacrifice the problems found when combining the two..

Quote Originally Posted by Midge_Fodder View Post
    be it a lighter and a ranger band ect.
    Fancy name for a bit of inner tube ..incidentally also my go to start anywhere back up and as a mountain biker I have no shortage of inner tube....and as a Yorkie i very rarely throw owt away
    [