Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: have I found flint!?

Sounds good mate, ive got a mate whos getting me a steel striker. How much would you want buddy for p+p? I only need enough to put away with the steel to make a set.

Just PM me your address and I will send out for free, it's easily going to be enough for several flint kits.

You sure mate!? Thanks very much. I'll pm you. Cheers!

Yep, definitely chert. Flint tends to be much darker, and as luresalive says, is usually translucent (most noticeable around the edges, where it is thinnest).
    Generally the blacker the flint, the better, but chert will still throw good enough sparks for firelighting
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    I use chert for it, I refuse to buy flint and it isn't in my area. The chert is all over my front garden, courtesy of my local landscaping suppliers.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk