Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello From The Yorkshire Coast.

Alone in the Wilderness tigerbrew's Avatar

Talking Hello From The Yorkshire Coast.

Hi everyone.
    The name at this end is Steve and live in Bridlington on the Yorkshire Coast.
    I am about to embark on my first wild camping trip and have a couple of questions. First of all despite it being my first wild camping trip I am quite used to camping in general as I have done and still do a few trips on my motorcycle with small tent but using campsites, my favourite being Bainbridge Ings near Hawes in the Yorkshire Dales, however to augment my interest in photography I would like to do some overnight stopouts in some woodland near to where I work.

The spot I am choosing for my first outing is a wooded valley that is not overlooked by any of the local landowners and although it is at the junction of two long distance paths, after sundown I cannot be seen by anyone that is likely to get ratty about me being there.
    That brings me to my first question. . . How do you more experienced bushcrafters get on with pitching up without hearing those dreaded words "Get Orf Moy Laaand" ? I realise that many of you will have special places that you'd rather not disclose but are there such things as areas that allow wild camping and small fires without being chastised. I've seen some pictures where people are camped on the banks of Scottish lochs with roaring camp fires, how do they manage that without the local Laird pointing the wrong end of a Purdey in their face?
    I know there are laws about camping and they don't seem to favour those wanting to do it, particularly when you are off site. There are lots of places I could throw up a tarp nearby but they are all owned/rented land and managed plantations, Dalby forest is a good spot but that would be the biggest "No-No" you could ever think of.

I just feel that I've got the kit, the enthusiasm but nowhere to go. Your thoughts would be apreciated.

Dia duit, Steve, agus fáilte go dtí an bpobal bushcraft
    I can't say much since I don't live in the UK, and I imagine that my local laws are quite different than what is done on your side of the sea. Personally, I always try to contact the folks who own the land, tell them who I am and what I'd like to do, and generally they'll be fine with it, especially when you put in the discussion of 'leave no trace' . If this isn't possible, in most town/city parks in my state, I can pitch a tarp and stay up to a week in stealth mode - which is legal. State parks are a whole different matter.
    Aside from that, I have stealth camped within 150 yards of a main trail in a town park, in more or less plain view, and no one spotted me . The art of concealment is quite fun as well as practical (it also stops interlopers from stumbling into your camp).
    Anyways, I'll shut up now since the UK folks can give more nitty-gritty details :P.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Hi & welcome.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Warm welcome from N.Wales

Howdy mate and welcome
    Winter is coming

It is a common problem for all of us Steve - finding somewhere to do what we do.

The laws on camping are different in Scotland from England and Wales. Apart from where byelaws apply you can camp anywhere that is reasonable in Scotland (not an exact quotation of the law). In England and Wales you need the landowner's permission. There are some notable exceptions to this, a good example being Dartmoor, where in most areas wild camping is actively encouraged. Other National Parks have a much less tolerant attitude.

Stealth camping is not condoned on this forum. However it does happen. The policy in general is: Late in, early out and leave no trace.

For the reasons I have stated we tend to organise meetings in places that are either owned by the bushcrafter or where we have the permission of the landowner. It overcomes all sort of issues. It is also a good opportunity to exchange skills and knowledge, solve the problems of the Universe and have a good laugh. Oh! I forgot to mention, have a few beers round the campfire. Just put your name down for an upcoming meet and turn up - you'll get a warm welcome and meet some wonderful people.

I hope this answers a few of your questions.
    Last edited by Ichneumon; 22-03-2014 at 11:03 PM.
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

That pretty much covers it.

Welcome to the forum Steve.

Eyup Steve howis tha ?
    [

Narthen Cock,welcome T forum From West Yorkshire.I think Ichneumon has outlined things for you!.They r a good helpful lot on the forum,and you would be made welcome at any of the Meets.!Just keep your eyes peeled.n get your name down.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Another welcome from North Wales
    ATB Bri
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .