Thread: New Hammock - First Test

New Hammock - First Test

So I took my new Lawson Blueridge Hammock out for a spin yesterday afternoon.
    Relatively easy to assemble and put up, however, the Mammut Tree Huggers that are 'recommended' with this product are a sad reflection of the £25 they cost. Reckon it takes a real genius to work out how theses heavy contraptions work, took me long enough.
    And unless you are planning on tying your hammock to a lampost or something of similar thickness then I suggest you steer well clear - luckily I had brought my trusty TW tree huggers!

The hammock itself I'm still not 100% on. Perhaps it was the way I hung it or perhaps it needs a fiddle with, but I really didn't like the lying position at all - I felt almost doubled over (sadly, due to the fiddling with the tree huggers I didn't have long to try it out). That said, I have seen videos online where the lying position is almost flat so I will try again this week. Easy to pack away and store and light to carry. I must say that with the tarp on it's a lovely and cosy.

Below are some photos for you guys;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20140316-00310.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	11896
    Lola's not daft, she can smell the chicken behind Mummy's back!

Name:	IMG-20140316-00313.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	11897

Name:	IMG-20140316-00311.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	11898
    When life gets you down...Hammock!
    It's amazing how far away the world can feel when you're suspended just two foot off the ground!

Thanks for the write up, I hope you get sorted out, as I said before, I do like the look of it

HI Bopdude,

I'll keep you posted mate and of course if I dn't like it....you'll get first dibs!
    When life gets you down...Hammock!
    It's amazing how far away the world can feel when you're suspended just two foot off the ground!

LOL, thanks Stevie B

ATB Al.

Really not sure on the look of that one...

I finally took my (newish) Lawson BlueRidge hammock out to the woods this weekend. I managed to get it strung at a reasonable tension and I also knew this would make it more "tippy". So, where the roof poles clip in there's a loop and I used paracord to secure the head end to the deck both sides. I got a nice flat lay and there's loads of room inside. This was brought home a couple of times in the night when I'd moved off the carri-mat and got a little chilly without the insulation.

The following morning I woke up with a face full of mesh and seeing a bit more ground than sky. Where I had not secured the feet end, the whole lot had twisted slightly. Oh well, live and learn and it was easily remedied with a bit more paracord.

Name:	BRHammock.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	13751

The "paracorded corners" were not perfect, but I know I can find a better solution in terms of the angle and tension required. I'll also need to find a solution to my carri-mat only covering two thirds of the hammock width. This will become a necessity in the winter or when dog joins me.

In terms of the packed up size, the BlueRidge in height is half the spreader bar length, so quite a package when compared to a DD Camping hammock. It also comes with rain covers -not fitted as a) I was under a DD tarp and b) it was such a nice weekend! These will probably feature in winter in my set up as I think they'll keep the heat in (dog likes the heat).

All in all, it met my requirements and expectations although I don't think this particular hammock will be for everybody (each unto their own). I'd certainly use this in preference to my DD, unless rucksack space was at a premium (as it is, I took both anyway).

Disadvantages:
    Tippy when taut if corners not secured and lengthy when packed

Advantages:
    Loads of room inside and some nice extras like light hanging loops and two pockets for phone, keys etc.

It gets a from me!

Cheers,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Nice write up!
    👍

Last night I tried the Blueridge on the ground as a bivi as dog was with me. As it's cooler I put the rain proof cover on to keep heat in. There was plenty of room inside but is was still cosy. The roof sagged a little in the middle but I suspect that's because I didn't spend too much time making adjustments when setting up (dog gets easily bored).

I'm still pleased
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.