Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spirit of the Woods.

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar

Spirit of the Woods.

Time to stow away the winter weight sleeping bag and thermals I think.. Just back from 7 very mild nights in the wood.
    Camped above the stream as I like to hear the water music at night.

There is a Deer crossing close by and on the third night I heard them cross the stream, so my presence doesn't seem to alarm them at all.

The wood is coming to life and I'm pleased that new tenants are moving into the bird boxes I put up.

I took a weeks supplies in with me and spent a while the first morning re-jigging the cache as some of the stuff at the bottom needed hauling to the top and using first. I have a rough idea of what's in there, but don't keep a list. I have some very strange meals as a result on occasion...

Spent time wandering as usual, and noticed some of the Ash trees suffer from a problem that perhaps one of our tree experts will know the name of?

The Ash trees in the wood play host to a whole range of fungi, this is all on one tree..I count three types.

Trees have an ability to survive though I know. This Hornbeam is virtually uprooted and broken but stems still grow upright.

Strange branches growing from a trunk and then combining into one.

The days were warm and sunny and at night Lady Moon lit the wood.
    Smoke in the sunshine.

As a very small kid I was taught that there is nothing natural in an English wood that would intentionally harm me..
    Warned of the pale and delicate sometimes colourful fungi that could kill, the Nightshade, Lords and Ladies fruits and pretty Yew berries and others too that would harm me. Deep ponds, falling branches and the sunny heathy woodland edges where the Adders sleep and don't take kindly to being accidently trodden on, but nothing of evil intent, so I feel totally at ease alone in the woods at whatever time of day or night.

And yet, since coming to this wood there has been something that I couldn't quite fit into the woodland life around me.I first saw it three years ago on a bitter January night when the tent fabric was shiney with ice and the woodland floor crackled with Hoare frost. Just a pale shape across the clearing that had gone when I blinked, unsure if I had imagined something. I've seen it on warm summer nights too, a fleeting glimpse through the leaves and it moved without a sound. Daytime searches for tracks failed to prove there had been anything there. I had a fair idea of what it was but could never be certain.
    Until last Saturday. I sat by the late afternoon fire, the sun had dipped below the treeline across the clearing and I looked up.

The subject of many " Did I just see something?" moments, or waking on a frosty night and thinking " Did I see it or was that a dream ?" is now known to me.
    It seems that at last the white Deer has found a place with the herd and my woodland spirit is alone no longer.

Hello to those folk who have joined us while I was away in the woods..

Very nice indeed!!

*SEVEN* nights?
    You're single, right? ha!

Great snaps by the way.

Can I ask...
    Would you give us a kind of trip report by day? I'm intrigued with what you fill a full week doing?

Cheers bud.
    Last edited by f0rm4t; 10-03-2014 at 03:41 PM.
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

Seven nights, sounds peaceful. Great pics btw. I'd also be interested in a day by day report.

BTW, do you just keep that food cache there all year round?

What a brilliant story and photographs. Thank you so much.

The white deer from an "is it my imagination" to photographically proven... how fantastic is that ? ... thank you for sharing your story.

Rob.

Good to hear the news of your outing, mo chara .
    There's a white deer in my area, as well - all white except for a brown head, and he visits every now and then. The only problem is that poachers are out for his hide...I keep picking up 12 gauge shotgun slug shells .
    I've always thought about making a cache in my local woods, though I'm not sure it would last long since I have Pooh Bears to worry about. If everything was air-tight, I guess it could work...anyone in bear country have suggestions?
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

" *SEVEN* nights?
    You're single, right? ha"

Yep, widowed since 1995, kids long long gone...

The food cache is there permanently and never contains less than 3 days supplies..No, I'm not a 'prepper' it's just that it's a 45minute trek to the wood from the nearest point that I can use transport. So without a cache it's a yomp with a bergan full of stores and a return journey to ferry my camping gear, tent etc: into the wood, so I keep the cache fairly full. It gets used quickly anyway as I normally spend at least one week a month in the wood, usually a lot more, winter and summer. I first used a dry bag hanging up as a cache..Ha! The Wood Meeces and Squirrels scoffed it..and the bag..

As far as day reports are concerned, yes of course. Ostara is near and I'll be gone again then. BUT... I am not a 'Bushcrafter' like many forum members. I don't make things or wittle woodigami projects and most of my kit is old and non shiney, so it could get pretty boring.
    I just try to 'live in the wood' not intruding in any way on the life around me. I spend a lot of time just watching and listening or wandering and being nosey. I'm really seeking the isolation and freedom that the wood gives me. Leave it at that.. .

For example, I spent ages tracking the tale behind this..

A little early perhaps for a summer moult I think but who knows? Not Sarcoptic Mange I hope for Brer's sake.

So, if you want boring to tears I'll do a...10.00 to 11.15 watching Tree Creeper on Oak tree...
    Or..Nooo! Not another fire...Oh! Please not Porridge again?? or 'You're not going to eat that surely??...

If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    Good to hear the news of your outing, mo chara .
    There's a white deer in my area, as well - all white except for a brown head, and he visits every now and then. The only problem is that poachers are out for his hide...I keep picking up 12 gauge shotgun slug shells .
    I've always thought about making a cache in my local woods, though I'm not sure it would last long since I have Pooh Bears to worry about. If everything was air-tight, I guess it could work...anyone in bear country have suggestions?
    I think a Badger had a little dig around out of interest but even he couldn't get into the heavyweight plastic barrel.
    If I thought there was anything bigger than a Badger in the wood...I'd buy a television and stay at home..

i totally get you...i could happily live with my own company as you do in the woods..maybe one day when the kids finally leave me alone.
    is that rabbit fur...if so then its because they are nesting,they pull fur of their belly to line the nest and i suppose to expose the teats for the kits,we often find it in the fields this time of year and not to far away there will be a single hole breeding tube....crackin thread,thanks for sharing...kev