Thread: Made another attempt at a wood gas stove

Made another attempt at a wood gas stove

Watched som vids on youtube and made myself yet another wood gas stove.

As per usual it works great...in back yard tests with dry wood from the shed.
    It's when I feed them with forest wood the problem occurs. It just putters out and I spend more time on my knees
    breathing life into it , than it does actually boiling water. The slightest bit of moisture on the fuel and it will putter out when refeeding.

Wood here is generaly wery moist. And since wood is burned up long befiore I get a rolling boil, re-fills are necessary. I just don't think these small stoves are suitable for
    the climate here. A real wood fire or a primus type stove/ meths stove is what I need here to get my tea water.

Certainly won't spend any money on this type of stove until I see one that works with the wood available here.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Hi Rune,Best fuel for the "gas burners is "CAT LITTER",here in Uk,.one can get a large sack of ECO-wood -pellet,cat litter.very cheaply.Burns very well,is economical,and very useful for when twigs n branches are not available.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Good idea, but is not bringing the fuel with you sort of beating the purpose?
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I guess you could mix and match your fuel, stripping the bark from damp wood and adding some 'cat litter' as ever I guess it depends how far your going, how long your out for, type and amount of cooking etc, oh so many variables.
    I do like the look of them, but would I buy a 'woodstove'? maybe on my list, but in the middle/ bottom half.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Good idea, but is not bringing the fuel with you sort of beating the purpose?
    Yes n No,on some sites,that are used by many,its alway a good idea to take some "firewood",so as not to strip the forest.etc.But if packing out,then pick what you can as you go.

I liked the idea of the wooden cat litter (even picked up a bag to try it out in other stoves) watching the youtube links a little goes a long way so you not going to too weighed down[ATTACH=CONFIG]11854[/ATTACH
    Took forever to boil in my lil twig stove
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-01-28 11.45.19.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	11854  

Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    I liked the idea of the wooden cat litter (even picked up a bag to try it out in other stoves) watching the youtube links a little goes a long way so you not going to too weighed down[ATTACH=CONFIG]11854[/ATTACH
    Took forever to boil in my lil twig stove
    With twigs your geting burning upwards n over the whole twig,n just as it burns quickly it boils quickly too.were as with cat lit n the gas stove your burning the gas rather than the wood as a heat source.n you light them from the topn it burns downwards.etc.

ithe woodgas stoves do seem much more efficient (by a magnitude) might need to see if my boss will get one for me (and I'm not talking about swmbo for once)