Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help, Help, Help

Tramp

Help, Help, Help

Hi all you guy's out there and all you girlies too. I need some constructive help and advise.
    What it is, I have been interested in bushcraft for a number of years now but only been actively going on nights out for almost a year. The thing is, I would dearly love for my wife to share my interest and come on overnighters in the woods with me. Trouble is she comes from Croyden so is a townie girl But she does love the countryside and walking in the woods etc.
    But when I suggest that she comes out on an overnighter I get, "Ooh no, I couldn't sleep with al them bugs about". But you have been camping in a tent with me and you loved it, says I. "Yeah I know but that wasn't in the woods". We actually camped in a clearing in the New Forest only six feet from the trees. "Yes but it was a camp site"

This is how it goes, I have tried to bring her round loads of times. Can anyone come up with some good sensible ideas, especially you ladies out there. Please can you assist.

Thanks guys and girls

Simon

this was my answer,i know its not very bushcrafty but it does get her out,she loves it and you can still do what you want to do...atb kev

Take her for a three day walkabout but tell her you're only out for the afternoon at first ..... by day three she will either love the outdoors and bushcrafting or divorce you
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Leave her to it and try not to be so evangelically about it.
    As I'm sure you (both) know, there's more to bushcraft than camping out in the woods (arguably, camping in the woods has little or nothing to do with bushcraft - it's camping).
    By doing the things she enjoys she may find herself becoming more interested in camping out as time goes by and if you try to cajole her into it may have the opposite effect and put her off.
    Go out to the woods for the day, put up a shelter, light a fire, listen to the sounds, do some kind of craft, and then she may find it a shorter step to staying out after dark. That kind of thing. Enjoy what you have together rather than make it something it's not.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Get a shelter with a good bug net. My better half would never go camping let alone on the woods but now we have an annual pilgrimage to the Cornwall RV pitched up in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by headshot View Post
    this was my answer,i know its not very bushcrafty but it does get her out,she loves it and you can still do what you want to do...atb kev

This is exactly what I do too, you get to spend time outdoors while the wife has the comfort of home ;-)

Trapper
    Try a double hammock. Off the ground so no creepie crawlies and a bug net to keep the flying ones away.
    Not all those who wander are lost .... J. R. R. Tolkien.

Tramp
    Thanks for all your sugestions guys. We did used to have a caravan a few years ago but we had to sell it as times were hard and now we don't have a car either, and NO I'm not pulling one lol.
    I didn't know you could get double hammocks, but saying that I have one with a built in bug net that she could use.
    All said and done she has just said that in the warmer weather she would come out over night and "TRY" it out. Maybe one of you has been chatting to her

CHEERS GUYS!!

wasent me...honest

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    Leave her to it and try not to be so evangelically about it.
    As I'm sure you (both) know, there's more to bushcraft than camping out in the woods (arguably, camping in the woods has little or nothing to do with bushcraft - it's camping).
    By doing the things she enjoys she may find herself becoming more interested in camping out as time goes by and if you try to cajole her into it may have the opposite effect and put her off.
    Go out to the woods for the day, put up a shelter, light a fire, listen to the sounds, do some kind of craft, and then she may find it a shorter step to staying out after dark. That kind of thing. Enjoy what you have together rather than make it something it's not.
    Like wot e sed
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.