Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Off-Grid ECO Lodges

Alone in the Wilderness

Our Off-Grid ECO Lodges

We work with the Clophill Heritage Trust, they own a remote set of holiday letting ECO Lodges that are totally Off Grid, we also live and are based on site, so we see and reap the rewards daily, we would like to tell you how we operate the site to it's full efficiency.
    please pm me to learn more.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	site schematic.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	11813
    Last edited by darrenjames10; 08-03-2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: remove link

Darren welcome to the forum. Although many folks would undoubtably be interested your post breaches the non commercial not for profit ettiquette of the site and its creator. Please amend accordingly if you need further clarification please PM any of the admin / mods
    [

Keep looking at the schematic and still can't fathom out the ECO part. Diesel generator, LPG heating, Crystal Right that requires constant supplies of salt to regenerate the water filtration. Or am I really just missing a bigger picture here?

Looks like a lot of hard work !just keeping upto it!Think I'd settle for a log cabin,log fire,n dig a dunny.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Your a plumbing and heating engineer aren't you Jus ?
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    Your a plumbing and heating engineer aren't you Jus ?
    Giving the game away now Wayne

Electrical Contractor and Water Filtration Engineer. Spent five years as a Further Education Lecturer teaching Electrical Installation and Renewable Technologies.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Its as eco as we can make it, the lpg is really only a backup and should never be needed if I run the system as I designed it to run, crystal right to pass regs and the genset to get around the British climate, any suggestions to eliminate these are welcome.
    Thanks
    Darren

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenjames10 View Post
    Its as eco as we can make it, the lpg is really only a backup and should never be needed if I run the system as I designed it to run, crystal right to pass regs and the genset to get around the British climate, any suggestions to eliminate these are welcome.
    Thanks
    Darren
    I don't think it's a case of anyone needing to suggest how to not use items your using, more a case of you dropping the word ECO until YOU find a way
    saying they are only for back up is a bit miss leading really

a bit like me saying I have a eco car that runs on sunlight, but as it's rarely sunny in uk, it also has a petrol engine for back up

Unfortunately options can be very limited when staying Off Grid. Solar PV has some pretty obvious limitations and generators may be the only way to go when a reliable electrical supply is needed. The term 'Eco' can be used to describe the most efficient way of doing something and this is always going to be a contentious topic of discussion.

My comment was more an enquiry into why this particular method or the reasoning behind these chosen technologies. Enquiring minds like to know as it is a subject I have a great deal of interest in.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Thank you Jus,
    We have to live by what ever we can use, I know it is not ECO but we have to live, the kit is as ECO as we can make it and if we were not protecting the St Mary`s church we would not need to rent out our lodges to support the project which would cut our power needs down to the very minimum. I probably have not explained enough about why we have to use such un-eco resources, and you are defiantly right in the fact that they are not that ECO but as ECO as we can make them.
    Thank you again
    Darren