Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warming breakfasts

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    Pop tarts......
    No not the Sugar 'n' Spice type girly groups

Hey! If there good enough for the "whooo buddy" shugster then they probably have a place on the menu.
    lol..for the WHO?

Peasant
    Cheers for the ideas guys. Didn't know vacu-packed bacon would stay ok for a few days. Now that is a definite option. Bacon is the food of gods!

Quote Originally Posted by flounder_al View Post
    Bacon is the food of gods!
    Without a doubt!

Depending on the weather bacon stays good for ages, if you have a couple of those aluminium water bottles you can keep snugly between them to keep the temperature down.
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

I swear to instant dried fruit soups. Ie it's a freeze dried powder mix with bits of freeze dried fruit in it. You just add water and let it simmer for 10 minutes and get it in you. Gives me a lot of energy, and gets me warm. Thats my little tradition from the army days. Wehn on excercises I used to get the Optimus going and make myself that...as it was the only thing left that was edible in our ration packs in the morning that could be heated :-)

But I love the stuff so no problem there. Some people may find it a tad sweet...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

My breakfast favourites have all been mentioned -

Oats with a dose of golden syrup or fruit flakes
    Pop Tarts (strawberry is best)
    Good old bacon, mushrooms and tortilla wrap.

Not all at the same time of course
    Last edited by jus_young; 07-03-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by headshot View Post
    lol..for the WHO?
    The legend that is Shug Emery! This guy is fantastic and his series of vids on hammock camping are the best http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

Mmmmm bacon

I've only ever done instant oats whilst out myself, but vacuum packed bacon is definitely a winner

Iceland are selling vacuum packs of dry cured bacon, 6 slices for £1. Its good stuff, you don't get all the white snot leeching out when you fry it.

Pita bread or 'wraps' would have pretty much replaced bread for me if I was still up to solo camping trips.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    The legend that is Shug Emery! This guy is fantastic and his series of vids on hammock camping are the best http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

thanks for that jus..i honestly dident have a clue,i thought you were on about suggs of maddness for some strange reason (its to early in the morn for me lol)
    a breakfast i remember was out in the boat just on daybreak one summer morning on the pollack,pulled onto a beach in a little cove and fried up a fresh mackeral and some bacon grill and eggs..never forget it

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    I'm a lover of the simple porridge, can't go wrong with it. Although pancakes are hard to beat especially covered in butter and a bit of syrup.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk