Thread: From The Poundshop To The Hammock

From The Poundshop To The Hammock

Went into the loft earlier to grab a hammock to mod and I found this as soon as I got up there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hammock 001.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	11801

This is one of those camping hangers that you keep your toiletries in. Tooth paste, soap, face cloth, you get the picture. Made cheaply, don't weigh nothing at all, but surprisingly very strong for the price of a quid.

I brought it down and had a very rare brainwave. I was thinking earlier in the day that when in the hammock I always end up with everything from keys to cash cards floating all over the place when sleeping. I never use the sewed in pocket as they are always at the bottom of the hammock, not in easy reach.

I have looked on all the selling sites for something light and able to hold all the stuff I need without getting out of the hammock but the price is usually over a tenner.

Anyway, this is what I come up with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hammock 003.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	11802 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hammock 002.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	11803

I cut the original pouch in half, just the right place that the bottom half needed a few quick stitches at the top and finished it off with gaffer tape to make it look better and hang stronger on my ridgeline.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Chubbs; 05-03-2014 at 10:06 PM.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Neil 'Heath Robinson' looks great.These wee improvisation brainwaves are always welcome that's what survival/bushcraft's all about & for a £1 too
    Regards
    David

Very nice buddy, I always end up with a hammock full of kit when I wake up, I have one of these that I use when travelling round.

Best get the mrs on the sewing machine......again
    Ta

Yorkshire wanderer

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    That's a great idea. Cheers
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Good idea that one. My TW hammock came with a pocket in one end for bits like that. But in winer I like to get them and thereby the batteries warm. Besides the pocket always end up being in the foot end...
    But my sleeping bag have a mobile phone pocket in it. So there goes that one + a flash light.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I've got a glasses case thing for my specs plus a small stuff sack for car keys Etc hanging on me ridge line.
    Just remember to put the stuff back in your pockets when you pack up.....especially your car keys, yeah, dont forget the car keys....oh the shame

nice idea
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

Hobo
    I love pound shop mods, the end value is so much more than financial.