Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New water filtration method

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    Apologise I refer to the site as IFLS that often I forget that its name contains a profanity. My intention was not offend but bring to light some interesting research into a cheap filtration system. Again apologies. I will be more vigilant in my posts from this site in the future.
    Those of us that know you Mike, also know you're the least likely person on the forum to post profanity, or upset anyone
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    Not a "Magic Mushroom"wayne.lol.Keep up the good work!mike.
    It would be so much easier if folks behaved themselves in the first place - especially those who are old enough to know better....
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage View Post
    Those of us that know you Mike, also know you're the least likely person on the forum to post profanity, or upset anyone
    Seconded
    [

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Thanks Mike - Interesting, I knew Trees had all the answers!
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    Apologise I refer to the site as IFLS that often I forget that its name contains a profanity. My intention was not offend but bring to light some interesting research into a cheap filtration system. Again apologies. I will be more vigilant in my posts from this site in the future.
    Mike, I for one would not want to miss great snippets of info for language that most 4yr olds > use daily in the school yard, anyone who thinks otherwise is in Ostrich mode. I am not advocating it being used on the forum, far from it, but it can be taken to extremes. Everyone who knows you Mike knows you wouldnt do it intentionally, so as far as Ime concerned no real harm done. * Between me starting this and posting (got interupted) most of what I said has become superfluous, soz but it still applies, Ken
    Last edited by Rasputin; 05-03-2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: addition
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    I knew Trees had all the answers!
    I think there is more truth in that statement than scientists realise Ash.

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    Thanks Mike - Interesting, I knew Trees had all the answers!
    Think I might experiment with some birch!
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    It makes complete sense to me, I recon it's not new in anyway. It's probably part of that hoard of info that we've lost, as nobody used or passed it on. I work on the principle that in the whisky industry, the angels share is alcohol evaporated through the cooperage as vapour. So wood must be a semi permeable membrane, much like Visking tubing used for dialysis. If you put a glucose solution in the tubing, water will pass through but the glucose stays in the tube. Only problem I can see with it compared to say charcoal or peat filtration, is that it would be a long process. I think it would run far to slowly to be much use as it would be seep filtration not trickle filtration.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Midge_Fodder View Post
    Only problem I can see with it compared to say charcoal or peat filtration, is that it would be a long process. I think it would run far to slowly to be much use as it would be seep filtration not trickle filtration.
    I'm sure some wood would be faster than others, as you know how fast birch sap and pine resin can flow at the right time of year, but it's probably still going to be pretty slow compared to other methods, as you say.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    Aye it's the capillary action that causes the surging. Wood structure will definitely have something to do with it. Oak would be a terrible filter as the pores are so large, however it would run relatively fast. Something like beech, which is denser and far less open pored, would run slower than a week in the jail but filter better.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk