Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hand line setups

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    There are many different rigs depending on what fish you're after, google search images is a good place to start

As far as handlines on freshwater in the UK, from what I've read there is disagreement/controversy/rabidly held views on the legality. The grey area appears to be lack of definition of "rod" in the statutes. Clearly a line wrapped around a frame is not a rod, but how short does my rod have to be before somebody says its not a rod. I was planning on making a fishing set with a short bamboo dowel on a handle with a single eye attached at the end(to give longer casting range). It would be interesting to show it to people (police, wardens, fishermen) for opinions.

There was another thread on this issue where someone posted advice from EA or some other government body with clarification. A search of the forum may find it

Don't forget that fishing with a pole is legal in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    There was another thread on this issue where someone posted advice from EA or some other government body with clarification. A search of the forum may find it
    This may be it. Member Fish says the law says a rod under 36 inches is illegal. See below.

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...ad.php?p=93936

Thumbcrusher got this reply from the EA.

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding fishing rods and the definition of a rod. You are correct that handlines are illegal instruments for fishing in inland waters. The only exception to this is a crab line which may be used for the specific purpose of capturing crabs although this type of line has no hook attached. It is our opinion that any length of material used to tie a line and baited hook to and catch fish constitutes a rod. This could range from a walking stick, garden cane or tree branch through to a purpose made “fishing rod”. Therefore if you were to tie a handline to a rod it would be a legal fishing technique. You would require a National rod licence for this.
    I hope this answers your question satisfactorily however if you would like to discuss this further please give me a call on the number below.
    Kind regards"

Thanks, didn't mean to derail.
    Last edited by AJ; 05-06-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Here is the link to the rules page
    https://www.gov.uk/freshwater-rod-fishing-rules

There is no mention of minimum rod length but you must have a relevant rod licence.

I know full well they are illegal to use. Thank you for the reaffirmation.
    However I was asking for YOUR set ups that have been successful and rigs you wouldn't have ever used because of the law........
    Winter is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Blood View Post
    I know full well they are illegal to use. Thank you for the reaffirmation.
    However I was asking for YOUR set ups that have been successful and rigs you wouldn't have ever used because of the law........
    Mike, What fishing are you planning to do, lake ,river, sea etc the type of rig depends on what your doing. As for casting, unless you get plenty of weight on it you dont get very far, but thats not always a problem... for instance trout will feed and shelter next to the bank. So be specific old chap, Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Hand line setups

Ok it's seems I've entered a deep and mysterious world here. I will mainly be around small lakes, streams and rivers. Inland only for trout and other small fish.
    I would use a dead line with feather lures on the coast as I've had success with that method in the past so I'm cool for that one.

This was meant to be more of a show n tell and we've gotten far off the path with the legislation and my stupidity getting in the way ;(
    Last edited by Blood; 06-06-2014 at 07:48 AM. Reason: more to say
    Winter is coming

I'd like to apologise again for that, Blood. So often I get annoyed at people who don't answer the OPs question but go off on a tangent and there I was doing it to you. I'd be very interested in a show and tell as I'm looking into starting a bit of fishing. Bring it on guys!